Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control laser doppler vibrometer via ethernet

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear members

i am trying for automation of my laser doppler vibrometer via high speed ethernet.

company donot have any labview drivers but i have a general driver for remote conection. 

is there any possibility to use that driver in labview or i have to make my own using visa

best regards

Armghan Zafar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,581 Views)

Hello deutchland,

if the driver is a dll and it has an API documentation for using this DLL then you can use the call library function node to integrate the DLL into LabVIEW

How Do I Call a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) from LabVIEW?

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,533 Views)

i have a lot of .dll files but problem is i donot have any technical data  so how can i use these .dll  please see the picture below attached and which .dll is suitable for that

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,437 Views)

i have a lot of .dll files but problem is i donot have any technical data  so how can i use these .dll  please see the picture below attached and which .dll is suitable for that

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,437 Views)

It is going to be very difficult for us to give you specific advice without knowing the exact model number of the LDV and where to go to Read The Friendly Manual.

Yes, you have to "RTFM" to determine how to control the device.  We can help you interperate how to implement the instructions in the manual.  We cannot replace reading it though.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,416 Views)

actually company is concious to give any technical detail of device  after so many calls they send me some commands to change  displacement, velocity, and acceleration. now i want to get data from the device on labview. at this point he donot want to help me. that is the reason i want to reuse the driver in labview 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,411 Views)

@deutchland wrote:

actually company is concious to give any technical detail of device  after so many calls they send me some commands to change  displacement, velocity, and acceleration. now i want to get data from the device on labview. at this point he donot want to help me. that is the reason i want to reuse the driver in labview 

Unfortunately, that happens.  There are two common reasons for this:

1. The engineering department just plain didn't document the devices command set and know one really knows how the user interface actually works.
  2. The command set is so embarassingly poorly structured that the company wants to hide the incompetance of the engineering staff

In either case above or, any other case where the maker of the device is not willing to provide documentation to enable the device to be used in an automated process, the device is unsuitable for consideration as ai instrument in an automated system.  Period!  Let the mfg know that!  If technical information is still not made public at that point - Find a different LDV that is suitable.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,406 Views)

Actually company is new  and Laser vibrometer costs 50,000 euros   for me it is important because its part of my master thesis

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,398 Views)

@deutchland wrote:

Actually company is new  and Laser vibrometer costs 50,000 euros   for me it is important because its part of my master thesis

I assumed it was important to you to find a working solution.  Of course, I have no control of the mfg of the device (which you STILL haven't shared!) or what technical data they publish.

Googling LDV shows several potential sources for simillar instrumentation.  Since, you haven't shared what your measurement specifications are either, I can't recommend a suitable replacement that has a defined interface for automation.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,393 Views)

Hello deutchland,

If the device has an interface or control panel for or on windows which communicate with it, then you can do reverse engineering with wireshark.

Have you ask for a C or .net API, with that you can look into the code and reprogram it in LabVIEW without any of these infromations only reverse engineering can be done and this takes normally a lot of time.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(4,383 Views)