From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure 2 gpib-232CV-A mounted in series

I have a pressure sensor with a serial port, which is connected to a gpib-232cv-a inside of a box, so that the output of the box that is available to me is a gpib port. Now I would like to connect this port to a serial port of my PC. Can I use a second gpib-232cv-a to go back to serial ? How should I configure the second converter, knowing that the switches of converter #1 are :
GPIB side : 1,5,6,7,8 : OFF - 2,3,4 ON
Serial side : 1,2,7,8 : ON - 3,4,5,6 : OFF
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,974 Views)
Yes, you can go back to serial. But if it was me, I'd just crack open the box and attach the device directly to my serial port.

In any case, you should have the gpib settings identical to the convert side, except for switch 8.

The serial switch settings on the serial side of converter #1 do not affect converter #2. Converter #2's settings should match the settings for baud, parity, etc on your computer's port.

See the manual for more information.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,974 Views)
Yes, you can go back to serial. But if it was me, I'd just crack open the box and attach the device directly to my serial port.

In any case, you should have the gpib settings identical to the convert side, except for switch 8.

The serial switch settings on the serial side of converter #1 do not affect converter #2. Converter #2's settings should match the settings for baud, parity, etc on your computer's port.

See the manual for more information."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,974 Views)
I tried your configuration, but I couldn't manage to read the pressure sensor. However I checked the cables and tested all reasonable configurations of the serial port.
So I will simply continue to open the box.
Thanks anyway
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,974 Views)