From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to communicate with a HP network analyzer through GPIB Ethernet controller

through NI Max, I am able to see my GPIB ethernet controller, but I am not able to see the instrument connected. I have the HP-IB address for the network analyzer as 

for 8751: 17

controller: 21

these were taken from the local properties of the instrument. In NI Max, under the general settings of the GPIB interface properties, what should I mention in the primary address and secondary address column to be able to communicate with my network analyzer. Moreover, should I keep the system controller option ticked or should I unmark it ?. Awaiting response asap.

Thanks in advance !!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,501 Views)

In MAX, there is a Scan For Instruments under the GPIB.  Your instrument should just be detected from that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,489 Views)

I scanned for instruments under GPIB control, but still it shows no instruments added 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,466 Views)

Wait a minute.  Why is your controller at address 21?  You GPIB card should be at address 0 and made the master.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(4,457 Views)

21 is the HPIB address of the controller in the network analyzer. The suggestion is: I change this controller HPIB address to 0 and try communicating. But this is the default address given in the manual of the network analyzer.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,421 Views)

Now you are just being confusing.  Exactly what hardware do you have?  How exactly is everything connected?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,413 Views)

Hey, 

sorry for the miscommunication. Now I can see my instrument after changing manually the controller HPIB address in the network analyzer from its default value of 21 to 0 as suggested. Thanks for your valuable guidance. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,404 Views)