Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to communicate with a HP network analyzer through GPIB Ethernet controller

through NI Max, I am able to see my GPIB ethernet controller, but I am not able to see the instrument connected. I have the HP-IB address for the network analyzer as 

for 8751: 17

controller: 21

these were taken from the local properties of the instrument. In NI Max, under the general settings of the GPIB interface properties, what should I mention in the primary address and secondary address column to be able to communicate with my network analyzer. Moreover, should I keep the system controller option ticked or should I unmark it ?. Awaiting response asap.

Thanks in advance !!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,500 Views)

In MAX, there is a Scan For Instruments under the GPIB.  Your instrument should just be detected from that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,488 Views)

I scanned for instruments under GPIB control, but still it shows no instruments added 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,465 Views)

Wait a minute.  Why is your controller at address 21?  You GPIB card should be at address 0 and made the master.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(4,456 Views)

21 is the HPIB address of the controller in the network analyzer. The suggestion is: I change this controller HPIB address to 0 and try communicating. But this is the default address given in the manual of the network analyzer.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,420 Views)

Now you are just being confusing.  Exactly what hardware do you have?  How exactly is everything connected?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,412 Views)

Hey, 

sorry for the miscommunication. Now I can see my instrument after changing manually the controller HPIB address in the network analyzer from its default value of 21 to 0 as suggested. Thanks for your valuable guidance. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,403 Views)