Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i get NI-trace data to go directly into labview to trigger separate daq board

how can i get NI-trace data to go directly into labview to trigger separate daq board, is there a vi that will display ni trace data as it is generated?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,318 Views)

makemyday,
Can you please provide more information? When you say NI Trace, which of the following do you mean?

• NI I/O Trace
  • NI LabVIEW Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit
  • NI Real-Time Execution Trace Toolkit
Jared A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,308 Views)
  • NI I/O Trace
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,303 Views)
What sort of operation are you trying to trigger off of? Do you not have access to the software that would be captured by I/O Trace?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,297 Views)

the io trace is recording/displaying gpib commands sent by tile software to different instruments, starting a sig-gen and setting frequencies, etc.

I would like to be able to interact with the text string that is being displayed in the io trace as it is occuring or shortly afterwards in a labview vi running daq on the same machine

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,292 Views)

makemyday,
I do not believe there is any way to get this data directly into LabVIEW.

You can, however, enable logging to file inside NI I/O Trace by following the instructions found here:

Performing a Good NI I/O Trace Capture for Debugging/Troubleshooting

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/282C5D41E2BA04F2862574BA007803B9

I would recommend keeping the option to Split Across Multiple Files.

You can then read and parse this file inside your LabVIEW application using File IO. You incur some timing overhead since you are reading/writing to disk, but if your application permits that, this is a solution.

Jared A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,287 Views)

Thanks Jared, I saw that and it should give us what we need,

I added time stamp to the data so lining up the data sets should work

fred

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,283 Views)