Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hameg

Hello community..,

I am trying to communicate with Hameg 4040 power supply via LabVIEW using USB communication port, but LabVIEW does not recognize it. I have installed the USB driver from the CD that comes with the supply and windows 7 was able to see it just fine. but when I use LabVIEW "Easy Find Resource" to update all of the instrument connect to my PC, the power supply did not show up. When I openned NI-MAX, I did not see the supply either but I saw other USB device such as Agilent oscilloscope just fine. I wonder if anyone has encountered or resolve this problem before? Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(7,564 Views)

Hi SydorlyLTNI,

I have a few more questions for you so your problem can better be pin pointed. Has this device ever worked or been viewable in MAX before? When you say that Windows 7 is able to see it, you mean that this device shows up  in Windows Device Manager? Are you getting any errors? When you refer to LabVIEW "Easy Find Resouce," do you mean VISA Find Resource? How are you trying to communicate with the device? If you are trying to communicate through VISA, have you installed the VISA drivers? Are the MAX services turned on in windows? Verify this by going to Control Pannel>> Administrative Tools >> Services and verifying that NI Configuration Manager and nidevldu services are started. Hopefully this helps!

Michelle G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(7,534 Views)

Hello Michelle G,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

A.)  Has this device ever worked or been viewable in MAX before? "NO"

B.) When you say that Windows 7 is able to see it, you mean that this device shows up  in Windows Device Manager? "YES"

C.) Are you getting any errors? "Error for LabVIEW, NO"

D.) When you refer to LabVIEW "Easy Find Resouce," do you mean VISA Find Resource? "YES"

E.) How are you trying to communicate with the device? " I am trying to establish a USB communication through VISA"

F.) If you are trying to communicate through VISA, have you installed the VISA drivers? "YES, otherwise I would not see other USB instrument such as an Agilent DSO scope"

G.) Are the MAX services turned on in windows? "YES, all active"

Actually, I've got the problem resoved this morning. I have received a response from Hameg Tech-support saying that I need to config the virtual com port (VCP) driver to get this working and that's what I have done to get it to recognize the HMP4040 power supply.

Hopefully this information might help other as well 🙂

Regards,

Sy D.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(7,530 Views)

Hi SydorlyLTNI,

Thanks for posting the answer to your solution! I'm glad you were able to get everything working. 

Thanks,

Michelle G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(7,512 Views)

Hello,

I am in the exact same case, But i'm an newbe in labVIEW (i just know how to use it basicly ) and i have so many difficulties just to detect the hameg 4040

i know it was like a year ago but maybe you can help me ^^ I send a mail to the Hameg Tech-support as you said to know what and how configure the driver

But i never use visa VI and I don't have other USB instrument to see if i can detect it. Each example in LabVIEW seems to me extremly complicated, and there is no basic using example

I tried to use "VISA open" then "VISA write"  I tried "VISA find ressource" (i don't even understand how it works.. if I create a indicator labview detect a problem) but I don't know if i do it the right way 

Thank you,

Sorry for my bad english 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,249 Views)
Until you can see the com port in MAX, you are just wasting your time. The inf file to make Windows recognize it should have come with the instrument or the vendor should make it available as a download. If not, wait to hear back from your email.

The basic serial example is about as simple as it gets. You do need some basic understanding of serial communication and a deeper understanding of the manual.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(7,244 Views)

Hello Polynome,

Your 1st step is to install the USB driver and make sure that it is shown up on the device driver under the WINDOWs' control panel

After that, double click on each of the HAMEG address ID and make sure that the VCP is activated.

and last but not least, make sure that the HAMG COM port ID is located under the PORT listing on your device driver, after actvivated the VCP as shown on the windows captures attached.

You should be on your way... 🙂

Best,

Sy D.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(7,237 Views)

hello,

Thanks for your answer, your screen shot really help me, now i have to try my program. i'll maybe come back here if i need some more help.

Thanks you 

JF

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(7,213 Views)

You are more than welcome JF. Happy to help and hope you are succeeding on your developemnt.

Any more question(s)/cooncern(s), please feel free to ask.

Best,

Sy D.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(7,203 Views)

Hello,

I have a new problem, last time I was just detecting the device, and i tried the "initialisation VI" which was working well.

Now I tried other VIs but they appeared to be broken (the little arrow top of the screen is grey and is broken) I don't understand why, all input/output are linked but it is not working. 

There is an Input called "attribute ID" and I don't know what i have to write in it? 

maybe it is a problem of version of labview, i'm working with labview 2013.

Thank you 

and again sorry for my bad english^^

JF

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(7,118 Views)