From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hameg

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to connect the instrument via RS232. I think your instrument has this option.

It would be much easier because you wouldn't have to mess around with virtual com ports. More often than not they have trouble with LabVIEW.

I have worked with HMP4030 power supplies a couple of years ago, although I used GPIB.

The driver that came with the instrument was useless for me because it had a lot of delay between subsequent VI calls. I created my own VI's for it, which were much faster (attachment). I only used the "Initialize" and "close" VI's from the original driver.

You may have to modify them a bit because they are for HMP4030 (3 channel).

If some functions are missing, you can create your own VI's in the same way. Have a look at the manual, all commands for the instrument are listed there.

Best regards

Matej

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(1,952 Views)

Hello,

really thank you for your VI i will see if i can use it for my device, 

Yes i know if i could i would have tried^^ but the laptop i have does'nt have RS232 port.. so I'm obliged to use USB (every subject I read says that RS232 is easier to use ^^)

Thanks

JF

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(1,947 Views)

Hello JF,

did you install VISA driver? you must have.., otherwis it shouldn't worl to begi with!

Can you attach your VI for us to llok at?

Sy D.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(1,941 Views)

hello,

Yes i have visa driver, I used VI taht you can DL on their website but only the initialize.vi works 

I succeded to communicate with my device finally.. but i don't understand how.. I'm not sure but its something with MAX 

anyway really thank you, your help was really useful. 

I have another question about VI's you sent to me, they are working well I just changed some few things.

it's about the command of arbitrary. It's the first time I use SCPI protocol so maybe I do something wrong

i tried :
ARB_REST1\n : to recall the waveform from save 1 but it is not working. 

Then I have written : ARB_TRAN1\n : to transfer it in the channel 1
Then I have written : ARB_STAR1\n : to start it.

But the first command does not work so I can't test the following one

I also tried to use your VI SND_CLND and doesn't work neither so it is certainly a problem with my command

I already ask to hameg support and i wait for their answer.  

Thank you again,

JF
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(1,920 Views)

Hi,

The syntax you used for the arbitrary command is wrong. The correct commands are:

ARB:REST 1

ARB:TRAN 1

ARB:STAR 1

The colon symbol (:) is a level separator and should not be omitted!

If you are new to SCPI have a look at some tutorials. There are a lot of them on the internet.

One is on the Hameg website where the manuals for your instrument are located.

Best regards,

Matej

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(1,897 Views)

Thanks a lot !

I'll already saw it on the hameg manual.. but in VIs I have, the symbol _ is used and not : so i thought i had to use it everywhere.. my bad.. 

Thanks you all for your help and your patience !  

JF

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(1,857 Views)

Hello Matej,

Please can you help me? I'm new to instrument control and I need help with Controlling My Hameg 2030 with Labview 2013. I can connect my power supply with Labview but I can connect the Labview drivers (VIs-----Initialize, configuration etc) I have tried but getting error out with code BFFF000E. Can you instruct me on how to connect the VIs together please?

Thanks

Floshe

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(1,773 Views)

Please can anyone help me? I'm new to instrument control and I need help with Controlling My Hameg 2030 with Labview 2013. I can connect my power supply with Labview but I can't connect the Labview drivers (VIs-----Initialize, configuration etc) I have tried but getting error out with code BFFF000E. Can anyone instruct me on how to connect the VIs together please?

Thanks

Floshe

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(1,769 Views)

Hello Floshe,

Did you install NI VISA driver properly? Try to down load the latest NI VISA driver and install it if you have not already done so.

Best,

Sy D.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(1,761 Views)

Thanks Sy D.

I have installed NI-VISA 5.2 and it's working properly. It's just that I have to run the driver wizard all the time in order to switch from PCI to USB interface. when I do this, I get connected to my power supply without the error message. I now know how to overcome the error message but need help with my data aquisition. I basically need to store my output voltage and current and display then in real time. If you can help me on this, I will be grateful.

Thanks

Floshe

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(1,753 Views)