Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpibpnp error using sysprep

I recieve a memory error when I roll out a ghost image of Windows XP that has been sysprepped. I can continue with the mini-setup wizard and the OS will load correctly, but when I try to run the gpib troubleshooting program, It freezes and will not detect the GPIB correctly. The device seems to be installed (appears in the Device Manger correctly) but in order to get it to work, I have to re-install the 488.2 software. The error details are:

gpibpnp.exe
The instruction at "0x00401248" referenced memory at "0x00000009". The memory could not be read.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,626 Views)
Can you give me details about what version of NI-488.2 you are using? Do you have any other NI software on your system? Also, did you run "sysprep -pnp"? Any other options on your sysprep command line?

Thanks,
Scott W Brown
GPIB PSE
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,626 Views)
NI-488.2 version 2.1 is installed.

LabVIEW 7.1
LabWindows CVI 7.0
Measurement Studio 7.0
NI-DAQ
VISA
MAX 3.1

are also installed on the PC

I ran sysprep using the attached sysprep.inf with no other command line options
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,626 Views)
What version of NI-DAQ are you using? VISA? Can you upgrade to NI-DAQ 7.2 or 7.3 (preferred) and then see if the issue persists?

Thanks,
Scott
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,626 Views)
I'm currently using 7.2 but I will upgrade to 7.3 if you think that it might help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,626 Views)
Let's hold off on NI-DAQ 7.3 for now. On the affected computer(s), could you open the file properties for C:\Windows\System32\nipalu.dll, click on the "version" tab, and then click on the item name "Product Version"? You should see something like "1.8.0f0" or similar in "Value". What is your version number?

Scott
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,626 Views)
Hi Scott,

The file is version 1.8.0f0

-Brian
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,626 Views)
Thanks for the update. In the first section of your INF file,

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Can you change UpdateInstalledDrivers to No and see if the problem still occurs?

Scott
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,626 Views)
I will give that a try
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,626 Views)
I tried that method and it does seem stop the error from popping up, however NI devices (both DAQ and GPIB) do not seem to install automatically and require an admin to log on and re-install the driver. I do not want to log into 150+ machines and reinstall drivers. The "UpdateInstalledDrivers" line seemed to install the devices automatically thus preventing the need for an admin to reinstall things. I'm afraid this is not a viable solution
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,626 Views)