Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpibpnp error using sysprep

Hello,

I would like to get the exact steps that you are taking including sysprep with respect to GPIB hardware, reboots, and re-imaging. Could you provide a list like this:

1. Load WinXP on machine 1
2. Load NI-488.2 v2.1 on machine 1
3. Shut down machine 1
4. Install single PCI-GPIB in machine 1
5. Boot up Machine 1
6. Observe Add New Hardware Wizard running on Machine 1
7. Reboot Machine 1
8. Sysprep Machine 1.
9. Shut down Machine 1 and save hard drive to an image.
10. Load image on Machine 2
11. Shut down Machine 2, install single PCI-GPIB.
12. Boot up machine 2.
13. Logon as normal user
14. See Add New Hardware Wizard run.
15. Get GPIBPNP error

This is my best gues
s as to what you're doing, but I'd like you to tell me exactly. Especially important are when you reboot and when you install hardware. We'll get to the bottom of this issue.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,072 Views)
Steps 1-10 are correct. When I load the image on the new machine, the error pops up during the Windows mini-setup wizard. I have to click ok on the error window in order for Windows to complete it's setup. Once Windows has loaded I log on as an admin to check the hardware/software. It appears that the GPIB is installed (according to the device manager) but if I run the GPIB troubleshotting wizard it will freeze. I then go to the Add/Remove programs window and choose to re-install the NI-488.2 2.10 software. After the machine reboots I test the GPIB by using the troubleshooting wizard and it works correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,072 Views)
I'm having trouble reproducing this issue. From file properties, my sysprep.exe version is 5.1.2600.2180. I'm using your INF posted above with the product key field populated with one of my own. I did not pass sysprep any command line parameters, so I tried a variety of options in the GUI that comes up after running sysprep.exe, then I hit the "reseal" button. Can you walk me through your procedure in detail so that I can reproduce the here at NI?

Thanks,
Scott B.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,072 Views)
Hi Scott,

If I just do a simple reseal on the same computer it will not produce the error. Only when the image is loaded on to a new machine (even with exact same hardware configuration) the error will arise.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,072 Views)
Can you give me more details about what version of sysprep and what options you checked in the sysprep gui?

Also, what if the GPIB hardware follows the image from one machine to the other? Will the error still occur? For example, if you load up machine 1 with GPIB board A, reseal, copy this image to machine 2, take GPIB board A out of machine 1 and put it in machine 2, will the error occur?

Thanks,
Scott B.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,072 Views)
I'm using sysprep 2.0 with the Norton Ghost interface (so I can sysprep my ghost image and then roll out to multiple machines) Sysprep is being run with the mini-setup option and told to process the sysprep.inf file. No other options are selected.

I tried moving the card to another machine, but it gave the same error when I loaded the image.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,072 Views)
I have spent many hours trying to reproduce your exact issue on WinXP without success. Can you please provide a step-by-step process of how I can reproduce this? I have your sysprep version, but I am without Norton Ghost at this point; I don't think that will be required to reproduce the problem. Please include versions, exact options check in the GUI of sysprep, and anything else you can think of so that I can see this problem.

Once I can see it, we in the GPIB team can fix it. Thanks for your patience.

Scott B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,072 Views)