From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exception that cannot be handled in windows 98

I have written a program which uses measurement studio (dot net version) V7.0 and NI-VISA V3.01 interface to control a serial port.
This works fine in windows XP. When trying to run it in windows 98 I get the following.
"Common Language Runtime Debugging Services" "Application has generated an exception that cannot be handled"

Running a similar application that accesses the serial port but does not use NI-VISA or measurement studio works fine.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,135 Views)
hardwired,

The main problem here is that you are using .NET with Windows 98. The .NET framework and the version of Measurement Studio that you are using will not function correctly under Windows 98 (most likely...this is more of a Microsoft issue). 'Common Language Runtime' is referencing the .NET framework which probably isn't there. Here are some links to the Microsoft Developers Network that discuss the requirements:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxconatourofvisualstudio.asp

You may be able to download the .NET framework for Windows 98 from Microsoft's website...Windows 98 is tricky since Microsoft has pretty much dropped support for that OS.

Craig H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,135 Views)
Thanks for your reply Craig.

I didn't make it clear in my original request. The Net framework was installed on the Windows 98 machine. The similar application I referred to, that did work, was also written under the visual studio environment using C# except it didn't have any NI components.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. In the mean time I'll re-visit the Microsoft site you suggested and perhaps experiment with the NI-VISA components.

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,135 Views)
hardwired,

Have you been successfull in running any example programs that use VISA/Meas. Studio? Maybe a simple loopback test with some VISA serial read and writes would help us determine what the issue might be.

Craig H.
NI Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,135 Views)