From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eurotherm 3216 labview error

Hello,

I recently downloaded the euotherm labview driver from ni.com and I am using this USB to RS485 converter  http://www.kksystems.com/english/html_files/product_pages/usb485.htm  for communication, unfortunately I keep getting this error when using both example VI's.

1. When I use the process value monitoring example vi

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility MODBUS RTU Receive Message.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility Read From Register - Floating Point.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility Read From Register - Float or Int.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Read Process Variables.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series Process Value Monitoring.vi

2. When I use the temperature control monitoring example vi

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility MODBUS RTU Receive Message.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility Read From Register - Integers.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Utility Read From Register - Float or Int.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series.lvlib:Configure Instrument Mode.vi->Eurotherm 32xx Series Temperature Control Monitoring.vi 

Can someone please help with this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,511 Views)

The timeout error always happens when no one answeers.

So either your rs485 settings are wrong or you don;t have the right address for the eurotherm.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,505 Views)

Hello Albert,

My current RS485 serial configuration settings are; baud rate = 9600, parity = none, break length (timeout) = 2ms (all default values from the eurotherm manual), and the modbus address I am reading from is address 1, which from the manual is the temperature input value.

Is this correct, or am I still doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,491 Views)

Hi dexterpoet,

I have found a potential solution for you.

Please have a look at this article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/874B379E24C0A0D686256FCF007A6EA0?OpenDocument

I hope it helps!

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,484 Views)

And did you check that you have the right cable?

rs485 is not equal to rs232 !

you need two wires for sending and receiving and they should be terminated when the distance is long.

Furthermore your rs485 card should switch from send to receive in time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,476 Views)

Hi Albert,

I am using this USB to RS485 Serial converter http://www.kksystems.com/english/html_files/product_pages/usb485.htm and it is already terminated. Is there anything else I need to do to make it work right, if this is the problem?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,470 Views)

I found at th e link you provided the following feature

User-selectable RS422/485 modes: RS422 or 2/4-wire RS485

did you select the correct mode for the Eurotherm?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,448 Views)

I have the exact same issue as you. 
Were you ever able to find a solution? Could you please share it with me?

Message 8 of 8
(3,572 Views)