Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 1073807339 - Eurotherm PID 3216

Hello!

I am trying to configure my Eurotherm 3216 PID Themperature Controller with LabVIEW. I tried to launch the examples as suggested in the Eurotherm manual "3200_AN_030908U001_1.pdf",
using the recommended Serial Configuration, however I get the following Error:

"Error - 1073807339 occurred at Visa read [...] VISA: (Hex0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed."

I get the same error when testing the port through the "Continuous Serial Write and Read.vi", and also when testing it through the NI-MAX VISA Test Panel by attempting to read "*IDN?\n". On the other hand, I am able to communicate with the device through the same port using the software "iTools Engineering Studio", so I am puzzled. I read the vast material available about the same error in the forum but was not able to solve the problem, therefore some additional help would be extremely appreciated. I am not even sure it is a LabVIEW issue.

Thank You All and Best Regards,
Matteo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,192 Views)
Is *IDN? actually in the programming? Why are you even using the example serial programs instead of the driver? Help> Find Instrument Drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,186 Views)

I don´t think *IDN? is in the programming, I just thought that it is something that I could write and then read back again from the NI-MAX VISA test panel to check communication with the device. I am using the examples provided by the Eurotherm together with the driver, but I get the error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,160 Views)

Hey Matteo,

have you already looked at this?

Why Do I Receive Timeout Error -1073807339 on VISA Read or Write?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/874B379E24C0A0D686256FCF007A6EA0?OpenDocument

Regards. Elli

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,153 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Is *IDN? actually in the programming? Why are you even using the example serial programs instead of the driver? Help> Find Instrument Drivers.

Eurotherm has their own drivers for this device.

Since I need to register to get anything from their website, I won't be getting any further with this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,138 Views)
You can't just make up things to send such as idn.

Check the type of cable you are using and see if it matches what is in the manual.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,132 Views)

Dear All,

I cross tested the device with another computer, using the same communication settings, same Eurotherm driver, same wiring, and it worked. It sounds a bit like magic to me.

Thank You for the support,
Matteo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,115 Views)
Serial communication has always had a hint of black magic.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,105 Views)