From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual ethernet

Hello,

I did not find this question answered in the forum so far...

I try to get my PC connected to a LeCroy oscilloscope. The connection via USB works fine but is rather slow because of the USB2RS232 solution.

This is why I try to connect the Oscilloscope via cross-link with my second ethernet card. The first ethernet card is for the local area network with other computers. I can ping my device but I can't get a connection.

What special NI-VISA MAX configuration do I need?

I can connect to another device in the LAN network via my first ethernet adapter but NI-Server always fails to connect to the VISA device on my second ethernet adapter.

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,985 Views)

In order to communicate with the scope the device and the PC (regardless of which card you are using) have to be one the same subnet. This would have nothing to do with NI-VISA or MAX. It has to do with the IP addresses assigned to your card(s) and the scope. You said that when you were using the first card you were able to ping the scope. Was the scope connected to a switch and was your PC also connected to that switch? Have you checked to see if you need to any additional drivers on the scope to allow TCP/IP connections? I know that on some Tek scopes you need to enable the VXI-11 server, otherwise you can't make a connection. You can ping the device, but you can't make the connection.

As far as the cross-link connection, you'd have to make sure the IP address you give to the second card is on the same subnet as the IP address that you gave to the scope.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,979 Views)

no there's a misunderstanding...

I have two ethernet cards in my pc. The first adapter is connected to the local area network. When I try to connect to an oscilloscope in that network it works. So I have the LeCroy passport installed that you need to connect to LeCroy devices and I also did the configuration right in the MAX.

Now I have another ethernet card in my pc. Since it's easier to connect the oscilloscope directly to the pc via cross link I want to connect it that way.

I tried to have the two ethernet cards in the same subnet and I also tried to separate them into different subnets. When I have the same subnet mask for both network adapters I can ping the oscilloscope. When I use different subnets for both ethernet cards I cannot ping the oscilloscope (the oscilloscope always had the same subnet mask as the second ethernet card). 

I also tested to ping while the oscilloscope was disconnected. This way I ensured that no other device with the same IP in the network of the first ethernet card answers the pings instead of the oscilloscope. So it is sure that the oscilloscope answers the pings. Why is it not possible to connect to the device via the MAX.

So the question is still:

What configuration is correct to get the oscilloscope connected to the second ethernet card?

thanks for the ideas so far!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,975 Views)

When I'm referring to subnet I am not referring to the subnet mask. I am referring to the actual values of the octets of the IP address. You did not indicate what operating system you are using, but for Windows XP, for example, if the card does not get an IP address from a DHCP server (which would be the case for your second card), then the default IP address would be 169.254.x.y with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If you connect the scope to the second network card via a crossover cable, then the scope has to have an IP address in the same range as 169.254.x.y, and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If, for example, the IP address for the second card is 169.254.10.1, then the subnet is 169.254.10. This means the scope should have an IP address of 169.254.10.x. Is this what you actually have? If you assigned an IP address to the second card manually, what did you set it to? Did you set the scope's IP address to the same range?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,971 Views)

I tried this configurations:

Oscilloscope                          PC

169.254.5.2                            169.254.5.1

and another device that has embedded webpage with ip 169.254.5.5

all devices with the subnetmask 255.255.255.0

I can reach the third device (this is no VISA device), so I felt like my IP-configuration is correct. With this configuration I can also ping the oscilloscope but still I cannot connect via MAX.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,958 Views)