From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

displaying GPIB results

I've installed all the neccesary hardware to communicate with my instrument. NI recognizes my instrument, and vice versa. I thought if I type a GPIB command using NI-488.2 Communicator, click "Query", the reading result would be displayed. The command(s) do work b/c I see the instrument's parameters/readings change. So What I want is to be able to see the results on my PC, not only on my instrument. Is there a process I should be using,
1. Query, 2. Write, 3. Read, that I don't know about.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,733 Views)
I forgot to add some info. I can send a string the instrument succesfully. The instrument's setting will change correctly. The problem is in the reading section of the NI-488.2 Communicator, it displays
"iberr = EABO" error.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,730 Views)
A query is a WRITE with a READ. It assumes that the command that is written will cause the instrument to send a response. This isn't always the case. I've found that most times a response should not be expected. Unless a response is to be expected, nothing will show up on the PC.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,723 Views)
As Brian mentioned, a query is a very special command. If the instrument is a newer one that uses the SCPI format, a command that tells the instrument to return a value has a "?" at the end. As an example, if you were to send to a DMM, the command SET:FUNC:RES, the instrument would change to resistance mode but not send any data back. If you were to send the command SET:FUNC?, then the DMM would return the current setting. If you were to send the command READ:MEAS?, then the DMM would return the current measurement.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,710 Views)