Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

develop visa driver

You are the one that said you were unwilling to drop the c code so I don't understand what you want to do now. Have you written this per any standard? There is IVI for interchangeable drivers. IVI is written in c or .NET. Ethernet instruments can comply with VXI-11 or LXI.

You then say you want to be able to switch from other hardware without explaining what this other hardware is. IVI is the only type of driver that allows switching without any code changes and I don't think as many LabVIEW programs use IVI as much as a pure G driver. Using LabVIEW drivers requires software changes for new hardware. ly think you should get a better grasp of instrument drivers in general and what a typical LabVIEW driver is.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(2,095 Views)

hello. it is really hard to understand what you want to do.

from what i understand so far, you have existing code that you want to integrate into labview in order to provide the users of your hardware with a labview code to control the hardware.

if so, why does the call library function node not work for you? is it because you want to pass certain parameters? this is possible with the function node. maybe this tutorial helps: Configuring the Call Library Function Node to call a Simple DLL, https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-9069

if this is not what you want to achieve, please try to be really specific. what should the labview code do in the end?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(2,010 Views)

Thanks all for the help,

The solution is: I found now the way combining both, the driver approach and within that using dll function calls. The driver will be just at is, ant it is not actually an "driver" in the classic way, since the connection to the hardware is done in the library functions. But using the driver interface gives an easier possibility to customize existing Labview code to use with the new hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,987 Views)