Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploy license

Hello,

1. If I develop an application with Visual Studio while using the NI-4882 adapter and my app contains some of the NationalInstruments.*.dlls specifically NationalInstruments.Common and nationalinstruments.Visans.dll and nationalinstruments.ni4882.dll, can I release that application publicly?    I will indicate that they would need the NI-VISA runtime and mention if they have an NI4882 then that is free otherwise they need to pay NI for the runtime.  is this correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,340 Views)

So for example if the user downloads the software and they have instruments connected via USB(instead of GPIB using NI-GPIB) can they use the application or would they need a license or do I need a license to allow them to use it, please clarify how they could get the runtime with regards to licensing.

I assume nothing would need to be done in the case where the user has ni-hardware is that right?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,334 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,316 Views)

Thanks Dennis.

Let me be more specific.   Can I distribute an application that contains only the VIsa api libraries, the 3 that I mentioned above?  My users are expected to have the relevant NI-VISA drivers/hardware from NI.  I am not giving the runtime for NI-VISA.   The instrumentation functions of the application are useless unless they've got the nI hardware/software themselves.  So it would seem that this is ok since I'm not giving the NI-VISA software/runtime and those who are using it are the ones who have NI-hardware which would give them the right to use it.  Let me know if I'm incorrect.

Thanks,

Amiel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,292 Views)
If you are confused, contact NI. As I see it is not relevant as I'm not a lawyer and not an NI employee. My opinion is that a license would need to be purchased if the end user is not using any NI hardware such as with USB.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,286 Views)