Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cts/rts handshake

Hi,
For a PI motion controller I need according to the manual the rs232 cts/rts handshake. As I have seen this can be selected from the 'open serial port.vi'. However, the instrument driver provided by the manufacturer doesn't switch the handshaking on in the open serial port.vi .
If i switch the handshaking off i can see a signal at pin3 of my serial port. I also see something when I switch on either RTS or CTS. When I switch on both I don't see anything (that's what I might expect). But -and here is my question- I never see anything on the RTS pin of my serial port, nomather which handshake settings in the 'serial port open.vi' .Could anybody give me suggestions about the RTS/CTS handshaking for LAbview ? I'm not using the VISA package since the
instrument driver from the manufacturer didn't use it. I'm working with Labview 6.1 and SUSE linux OS.

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,206 Views)
The native serial vi for opening a serial port in LabVIEW is Serial Port Init.vi. Open serial port.vi is not a native function. You may want to check on the origins of this vi. You also mentioned switching on RTS and CTS. The CTS line is an input, what do you mean by setting it? To set RTS, are you using serial line ctrl.vi? When you just open the port with RTS/CTS handshaking you should be reading a positive voltage on the RTS line, pin 7.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,206 Views)