Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controlling a instrument

Hi Everybody,

For a instrument which has LAN input is controlled from a PC, is it enough to make the Internet  connection of the instrument and PC? Is it necessary to use any device between the instrument and PC for controlling via internet?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,262 Views)

I just use VISA.  I would recommend finding the instrument in MAX and that will give you the VISA resource to use.  After that, it is simple VISA Write and VISA Read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,253 Views)

Thank you for reply. I obtained the IP address of the intrument. The IP address was written in the MAX. But, MAX gave the error (Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system). What is the problem? How can I do the internet connection between PC and instrument?

Have a nice work.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,193 Views)

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing in MAX for the device?

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,171 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I added the device to MAX.  But now, when I started the "test panel" in MAX, an error was given. The error was "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed". How can I overcome the error?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,146 Views)

So this error occurs if the VISA read/query functions do not return a value within the set timeout period. I would double check the VISA command that you are writing to the device to make sure that the call is supported by the device.

What is the device, and what command did you send to the device?

Applications Engineer

National Instruements 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,118 Views)

MAX may be running into one of two common issues that I have seen with their default settings:

1) By default, MAX performs the "*IDN?" query of a device and does not take into consideration that many of the older instruments will only accept the "ID?" query.  This could cause the timeout response.

2) Some instruments will reset upon receiving the *IDN?" query then respond.  This could also be causing the timeout response.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,045 Views)