Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

communication with tektronix 3014B via TCPIP

Hi,

I am trying to get the waveforms from scope tektronix 3014B via enthernet connection (TCPIP protocol). I tried the the instrument drivers, but it seems they are for RS232 or GPIB only. Then I tried to make a simple program to communicating with the scope in the same local network.

However, it doesn't work and report overtime. Anyone has clue what is wrong with this vi? Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,415 Views)
The download page says they are for Ethernet as well as serial and GPIB. Have you tried to add the instrument in MAX as a VISA TCP/IP resource? Can you ping the instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,405 Views)

Hi Thanks.

Now I've added the port address in MAX and configured the alias name. After that I can see the alias name appeared in the draw down list of the resource name of the example. However, I still cannot run it. Still, every time, it reports time out.

I am using the driver in this page

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=163

And I've tried both the plug and play and ivi style drivers. By the way, I am using Labview version 7.1.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,397 Views)

Hey bo,

Now that you are using the instrument drivers we provide, can you post a screenshot of the VI that you're trying to run, or the VI itself? When the timeout occurs, what function is causing the timeout error? If the Tektronix device is configured as a VISA TCP/IP Resource, you should be able to open up the VISA Test Panel for the device. Try opening up the test panel and communicating with your instrument there. Thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,352 Views)
If you are using external trigger - you must have a probe on 1 of the channels this usually causes of time-out error
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,341 Views)

Thank all for your input.

I tried to use function generator to input a sine wave on ch1 and the synchronization is on ch4. I tried to trigger on ch1 and it doesn't work right either.

I am attaching screen shot of the max configuration and running window of the test program with error message and the ethernet interface of the scope showing the output signal. Also, the vis are attached and the program I run is tktds3k Single Channel Waveform Acquire Example.vi

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,326 Views)

Hi,

I would recommend running the example in the highlighted mode to check where exactly it fails.

Also, If you set the "trigger level" too high or too low (causing the acquisition not to trigger), the timeout error will occur. In this case, the oscilloscope displays the message "Trig?" on the instrument display, which signifies that the signal did not trigger the acquisition. You should change the trigger level. If this does not help, you should also try to use the "Initiate Acquisition.vi" and then the "Fetch Waveform.vi" instead of the "Read Waveform.vi" that is used in the example.

Have you tried to run any other example or to use a LabVIEW project-style driver (supported only in LabVIEW 8.0 and later)?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,305 Views)

Thanks for your advices.

Unfortunately it did not help either

I found the error happens in the initialization.

I tested *IDN?\n in MAX, Here is the message the MAX displayed:

HTTP/1.1 505 HTTP version not supported. Expected HTTP/1.1, received ...Date: FRI MAR 13 09:10:02 2009..Pragma: no-cache..MIME-Version: 1.0..Connection: close..Content-Type: text/html....<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>HTTP Version Not Supported</TITLE></HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">..<H2>505 - HTTP Version Not Supported</H2><P>HTTP version not supported. Expected HTTP/1.1, received ...</BODY></HTML>..

Looks like the scope supports version 1.0 but the labview only supports version 1.1

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,288 Views)

Hi,

The problem is solved. What I did is downloading the latest version of TekVISA from tektronix.com and installed it in the computer running labview.

In the installation process, there is a step asking whether to substitude ni visa to tekvisa. I selected yes. I don't know the impact of that to other labview visa applications yet.

After installation, the example runs fine.

Bo  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,281 Views)

Hey Bo,

Glad to hear that you got the issue fixed! Take a look at this KnowledgeBase article regarding Tek-VISA and NI-VISA : KnowledgeBase 2O8I2ELD : Differences Between Nl-VISA and Tek-VISAKnowledgeBase 2O8I2ELD : Differences Between Nl-VISA and Tek-VISA  

Both NI-VISA and Tek-VISA have been tested to work with LabVIEW, so hopefully you won't have too many issues with making this switch.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,271 Views)