Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

communication with a USB RAW Device

In response to Syrpimp:

Thanks for that page. I read through it and I don't think it fully applies to this situation. I actively chose not to use line termination characters. Since I have direct control of the USB device firmware, I simply look for a packet to come in to the device and echo the contents back out. USB messages are already packetized, so I can work on the packet level. Also, the firmware is doing nothing but this task, so turnaround is pretty quick and doesn't fall under the "older device" category. Clearly the baud settings don't apply. Finally, I am trying to read back large packets of data (at least as large as I send out except to illustrate the point of the timeout error).

In response to Intaris:

The Write Large Pkt USB sub-vi simply chunks large packets of data (>64 bytes) into packets of 64 bytes for transmission. The OUT endpoint queue size is limited to 64 bytes. I also place a delay of 50ms between each transaction just in case the timeout was occuring on the send side of things. That doesn't seem to help.

All data I send out comes back until I get to packets of around 1000 bytes (sent to the "Write Large Pkt USB" sub-vi). At that point I see a loss of data. I will investigate that further, but am not too concerned yet because data transmission will generally happen in packets of less than 64 bytes at intervals greater than 50ms (typically 1 second). I send small instructions (1-5 bytes) and expect occasional results of up to a maximum of 200 bytes back.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(1,697 Views)