Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

communication problems with spectrum analyzer

We have developed a monitoring system which is based on spectrum analyzer.
this application is written in VB 6.0 using GPIB-ENET device.
We are constantly communicating with the spectrum via the GPIB connection and once in a while the spectrum gets locked and we can't communicate with it unless we power cycle it.
this problem occurred with two different spectrum analyzer types: HP 8563E and IFR 2399.
We don't use LabVIEW or Measurement Studio.

do you have any solutions?

Best Regards,

ofir
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,993 Views)
ofir,

How fast are you sending commands to your instrument? The commands may be being sent to the instrument at the wrong times. I would throw some waits in the code to see if that changes the behavior at all (amongst the instrument commands).

If I understand correctly, the application works most of the time and only fails at random points in execution, right?

Just to clarify, the spectrum analyzer itself is what is locking up and not the GPIB-ENET, right?

Craig H.
NI Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,993 Views)
Craig,

first of all thank you for your quick response.
I did throw delay after each write/read command also I send 'ibclr' command after some read/write commands to clear the buffers. I must say The performance of the spectrum analyzer is much better now, although its to soon to say if the problem was 'fixed'.
you did understand correctly, the spectrum analyzer itself locked up during the application execution.

Since the measurement duration time should be as fast as it can, how can I reduce the delays to a minnimum?
Is the 'ibwait' command could help in this case?

best regards,
Ofir
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,993 Views)
ofir,

The ibwait command would definately help in this case since we can set the mask to wait on certain events. The question of reducing the delays is a tricky one since delays seem necessary in this case. You can specify the timeout mask in ibwait and use ibtmo to specify a timeout as well. These commands may help isolate where the delays need to occur.

Craig H.
NI Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,993 Views)