Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change of format in GPIB read

Hi,

I have written a program to read out instrument data out of the hp 16500b.
Everything worked perfectly until now.
Let me explain:
It seems that the format of the data out the GPIB read.vi is changed. How is that possible?
There is no such option on the GPIB read vi, and I didn't yet saw it in MAX or so...
The format used to be a ASCII string and now it suddenly changed to a binary (unreadable) type of string.
Yes I know I can just change the format of the string but since it is a very long string it slows down the
speed of my program cause of the for loop.
You would expect that the data in binary format is much faster transferred to the computer but in reality
you don't really notice it.
Therefore I would like to set the f
ormat of the GPIB read back to the old format.
I use a GPIB ENET/100 and I run labview 6.1 on windows 2000.
The problem occured when I installed a new GPIB ENET/100, I tried to run the program on this new gateway but It didn't work cause of the problem explained above.

Tx
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,882 Views)
f_d,

The GPIB read VI returns whatever data was read from your instrument. The format of the returned data depends on the commands that were issued. Some instruments can send information as either binary / ascii. It could be that the command that you're sending is instructing the HP 16500b to respond in binary. If, however, the response is in ascii, then wiring the "data" output of the GPIB read to a text indicator will display legible information. Also, if you are already using a text indicator, make sure that it's in "Normal Display" mode rather than "Hex" or "\Codes."

There is more information available about this VI in LabVIEW help. Also, you can refer to the HP 16500b manual for a listing of valid commands.

Have you considered upgrading to
EF="http://www.ni.com/labview">LabVIEW 7.0
? It includes the "Instrument I/O Assistant" that makes reading / parsing instrument data VERY easy.

Regards,
Alan
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(2,882 Views)