From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use a converter different of USB-232

Hello, I drive a product connected to rs232 port but my work is to connect the product to usb from a usb-232 converter. I don't have the ni converter and I want to know is it's necessary to use a ni product to drive my product. I use NI serial troubleshooting wizard, my product is not detected. How can I resolve this problem? Do you think it's so important to have the NI USB-232 ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,172 Views)
No, it is'nt. Allthough NI may think differently ;-))
To be seriously, I have used several USB2Serial converters with several versions of LabVIEW.
Those converters have to provide a virtual serial port to the system, though.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,162 Views)

@LuI wrote:
No, it is'nt. Allthough NI may think differently ;-))
To be seriously, I have used several USB2Serial converters with several versions of LabVIEW.
Those converters have to provide a virtual serial port to the system, though.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

I've also used non-NI USB-Serial converters without any trouble. The only problem I've had was trying to use converters from two different maunfacturers at the same time.

Tim Norris
"...and all this science I don't understand
it's just my job five days a week"

Using 6i, 7.0 & 7.1 on Win'98, 2K & XP
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,156 Views)
I have tested several USB-RS232 converters with LV 6.1 with different success: Under W 98, most converters work properly, problems seems sometimes to occur with W XP and W 2000, especially if the converter uses PROLOFIC drivers. For notebooks, I have in use a PC- card converter ( EXSYS EX 1350) which works fine even under XP when several USB-RS232 converters failed.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,153 Views)
thanks a lot but my real problem is that MAX recognizes a serial port (com3) but when I launch my old program which drive the device under serial port, it doesn't work... I don't know if I have to use a visa serial or a visa usb. I am lost. Pease help me. I enclose the VI which "speaks" with my device. Excuse me again for my almost english because I am a poor french student. Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,147 Views)
the sub VI...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,147 Views)
The problem you are going to run into is the quality of the driver that was created for the USB-232 converter you get. If you purchase a really cheap one from a no name vendor, you should expect cheap quality and it is possible that you will run into problems. Some of the USB-232 converters out there don't support all of the functionality found in the built in ports and this can cause problems with LabVIEW, because it is going to try and set every property when it opens a port. If the port doesn't support every property that LV is trying to set, then LabVIEW will fail to open the port.

I am a little biased, but if you want something that is reliable and that is just going to work with any application and will support all the attributes of a built in serial port and more, than I would suggest trying out the NI USB-232. The one port version is really small and works great. They are extremely reliable as well. As a side note the NI Serial Troubleshooting Wizard ships the NI Serial Driver and it can only be used with NI Serial hardware, because it is just making calls into our driver looking for NI ports making sure that the proper resources are allocated and that it is able to communicate with the transceivers.

I hope this helps out.

Josh Prewitt
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,145 Views)
What I would suggest is that you try using the VISA serial functions instead of the obsolete serial drivers. If MAX sees a com port, you have a much greater chance of things working if you use VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,138 Views)
bonjour,
j'ai donc essayé tous ceux que vous m'avez dit mais ça ne fonctionne pas. J'ai peur que bien que j'investisse dans 160€ de NI usb-232, cela ne regle pas mon problème. Je vous envoie toutes les copies d'écrans que j'ai fait pour illustrer mon problème. Je vous demande donc comment dois programmer mon VI, est ce avec un visa usb ou un visa serie? Malheuresement, je ne sais pas du tout comment programmer avec un visa usb. Je vous remercie de m'aider a regler mon probleme. (mon convertisseur usb serie est un HP MT608-2)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,131 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,131 Views)