Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calibrating Agilent N5183 Signal generator for specific output level

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Newbie to labview enviornment!  I am trying to write a VI to calibrate Agilent N5183 to a specific output.  For e.g. if I want to have -4.5 dBm output from my setup (as displayed on my power meter) I will have to set the sig gen to say 7dBm taking into account my losses etc.

Any pointers how do I start tacking this?  I think I will have to create a while loop to check power levels, however I do not know how to increment and decrement the sig gen amplitude and stop at the desired level!

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: Using Labview 2013, on win XP machine!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,120 Views)

@ksharma31 wrote:

Hi,

Newbie to labview enviornment!  I am trying to write a VI to calibrate Agilent N5183 to a specific output.  For e.g. if I want to have -4.5 dBm output from my setup (as displayed on my power meter) I will have to set the sig gen to say 7dBm taking into account my losses etc.

Any pointers how do I start tacking this?  I think I will have to create a while loop to check power levels, however I do not know how to increment and decrement the sig gen amplitude and stop at the desired level!

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: Using Labview 2013, on win XP machine!

Do you even know how to this manually by pushing the buttons on the signal generator?

If you don't, you have no hope of automating the procedure.

If you do, please describe the steps you take.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,111 Views)
Sounds like you are new to instrument control as well. What is the power meter? You need to be able to read that. I would assume you are using the driver for the 5183. Setting the output is trivial with that but you need the ability to read the exact output. As mentioned, foo the process manually first.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,106 Views)

Start by downloading and installing the instrument driver that is available: Agilent PSG MXG Series Signal Generator

In the driver should be an example of how to do the job.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,104 Views)

I have done this manually thousands of times and yes I have downloaded  drivers etc..I have even semi automate this by incrementing and decrementing this..all you so called experts out there don't treat someone that they are stupid..if u cannot help don't pass non judgemental comments..here are steps for everyone's benefit.

1. Power on DUT 

2. Select free and set power level to DUT 

3. Adjust pout to sign Gen to desired level while monitoring power on power meter

4. Stop adjusting  sign Gen power

5. Continue next step..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,096 Views)

3. Adjust pout to sign Gen to desired level while monitoring power on power meter

Why do you need that step at all ?  Its not clear from your description what makes the difference between the readout of the power meter and the output level setting of the sigGen. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,086 Views)
If you have already incremented and decremented the level, why are you asking how to do it? You have not shown any code so your problem is very unclear. Don't blame the readers here for misunderstanding your question when it is not properly phrased. Not knowing how a while loop works does indicate a basic lack of knowledge so perhaps you should start with some of the free tutorials before tackling the job.

p.s. You still have not provided the necessary information on the power meter. Why not?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,084 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ksharma31

@mkossmann wrote:

Why do you need that step at all ?  Its not clear from your description what makes the difference between the readout of the power meter and the output level setting of the sigGen.

I have had to do this plenty of times.  Especially in the RF realm, you want your tests to have a certain power level AT THE UUT.  So you have to adjust your signal generator to overcome the losses in the couplers, cables, etc.

For this, all you need to do is set your signal generator to the level you want.  Then measure with the power meter.  Subtract the measured from the desired and add that much more to the set output.  Repeat as needed.  I would recommend using a conditional FOR loop so you can easily set a limit to how many times you adjust (I have been in endless loops due to weird situations here).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 9
(5,073 Views)

mKossmann, Thank you for your help I will try it out and thank you for your understanding!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,061 Views)