From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

at-gpib card not vertified

Hi

The problem is with a AT-GPIB 488.2 card in a computer with Windows NT.

The setup (part of Genrad machine) was transported to repairs (not related to the computer part) and after that the there was a problem with the GPIB connection. I tried another cable and also checked the card's connection to the motherboard. I also reinstalled the driver for it.

The pictures show the error I get and also the settings for the card. The switches on the card are in the same position as the settings show.

The troubleshooting wizard says hardware presence vertified. Does that mean the card is OK or that it just found something and it might not be working?

Or is there something wrong with the settings?

Thanks for help

edit: more pictures of troubleshooting here (I don't really understand it myself but might be helpful):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwy6cquyo6ajbd9/AADIvVRmjAb5PZvX8q10gdNda?dl=0

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,210 Views)

At the risk of making a sarcastic comment, you have a larger problem than a failed AT- GPIB device(And it looks like the device did fail finally)!  You are using obsolete hardware with an obsolete OS.  I can't imagine the development enviornment or the test equipment you are attempting to use are anything other than obsolete as well.  The time to upgrade that system was 15, 10 and 5 years ago.  That is going to become a costly mistake if you employer's business is dependant on a lot of systems like that.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 10
(5,189 Views)
Even with Windows NT, you have the ability to take a screenshot.:-)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,182 Views)

I know it is obsolete but upgrading it is not up to me. It doesn't help that I have had no exerience with NT and when I was old enough to know more about computers, everything was already on XP. So these old OSs are really difficult for me, so different.

About screenshots, old browsers on the machine crash sometimes on NI website and there is no USB. Using a floppy is a hassle. Hope you didn't comment because its hard to see the pictures. I know the pictures of screens are stripy.

Should I try to get another GPIB card and try it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,165 Views)

@karts22 wrote:

I know it is obsolete but upgrading it is not up to me. It doesn't help that I have had no exerience with NT and when I was old enough to know more about computers, everything was already on XP. So these old OSs are really difficult for me, so different.

About screenshots, old browsers on the machine crash sometimes on NI website and there is no USB. Using a floppy is a hassle. Hope you didn't comment because its hard to see the pictures. I know the pictures of screens are stripy.

Should I try to get another GPIB card and try it?

If you have another idential GPIB card, why wouldn't you try it?

You either have a problem with the PCI slot or the GPIB card. You need to rule out one or the either.

I worked with PCs running NT about 15 years ago. If you have the driver, it isn't a big deal.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,147 Views)
For the ISA bus, you can still get the ***** version - http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/ictrl/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:ictrl,n21:25,n24:ISA/

Perhaps you arrange a loaner with your NI Sales Engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,140 Views)

There wasn't any ISA boards to get on short notice but I'll get a PCI version by Monday. Hopefully it will work.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,133 Views)

@karts22 wrote:

There wasn't any ISA boards to get on short notice but I'll get a PCI version by Monday. Hopefully it will work.

Does this PC have a PCI slot?

Message 8 of 10
(5,127 Views)

And it works!

New card (PCI ver) works.

Anyone know if there's anyone who is interested in buying the old broken card (no physical damage)?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,088 Views)

@karts22 wrote:

And it works!

New card (PCI ver) works.

Anyone know if there's anyone who is interested in buying the old broken card (no physical damage)?

Smiley LOL

Nothing but love!  karts, you just made me laugh!   Tell you what,  I'll take that busted relic off your hands for a dime (0.10US$).... you pay the shipping!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,013 Views)