Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another visa error

hello,
i am a novice in labview.
i use labview 7.1 and windows 2000.
i try to realise a communication with the serial port.

first, i want to read data on a first serial port, use this data with a sub-vi, and send this data on a second serial port.
i want to check the first part of my programm, so i didn't connect any device on the com1 and i try to run the vi. a visa error happend: BFFF009E.

so, i decided to run the exemple vi communication serial- labview, and i have the same error.

could you tell me if this error happend because i didn't connect any device to the port, and so how check the good behaving of my programm, or if it is a problem of library which failed, or another problem i didn't think of.

thanks in advance.

regards
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,505 Views)
The error says that some VISA-related library could not be loaded. (In general, it's a good idea to post the error description string as well as the code itself.) I can't tell you which library is at fault, though.

You should run MAX and expand Devices&Interfaces. If you see a VISA error node, it should tell you which VISA library couldn't be loaded and what to try to do to fix it. If you don't see a VISA error node, then that means that MAX could load all the VISA libraries but LabVIEW couldn't. That would be odd but it is possible. At least that would help pinpoint the problem a little.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,505 Views)
hi,

thanks for your help, i find the library which failed and load it, and now, i don't have this error anymore.

however, i have a new error now, the BFFF0015, which is the error about the timeout. i also have this error when i try to run the exemple labview/sérial. this error happend when i use the VISA "read", after the visa "Write". i search in the other thread about this error and I try to put a delay, but it doesn't work.
i don't think this error is due to baud rate or parity bir because in the exemple, we don't need to configure them.

please try to tell me why this error happend.

regards,
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,505 Views)
Hi,

Your timeout error occur certainly because you do not connect any device in your port.

Otherwise, in the example "Serial Communication.vi", you can configure your baud rate and your bit parity using the function "Visa Configure Serial Port" (To know more about it, right click on it and select Help).

An other way to configure you port : Go to Program>>parameters>>Control Panel and double click to "System" then select "Materiel>>manager of peripherals, select "Port>>Communication Port" right click et select "Properties" select "Parameters" then you can configure your port.

So, try to add a device and to configure your port, I think you will not have this error

Sanaa TAZI
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,505 Views)
Hi,

thanks for your reply,

I tryed to do what you suggest me, i used the function "Visa Configure Serial Port", to configure the baud rate, the bit parity, etc...
I configure my two serial ports with MAX, and check their good behaving with a hyperterminal, and it's work.

But, when i connect this two ports with a cable (with Tx1 on Rx2 and Tx2 on RX1), and when i run my vi, i still have the VISA error BFFF0015, which is the time out error.

i don't know what doing more...

thanks for help me another time.

regards
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,505 Views)
Hi Leomag,

As I say in my last response, you need a device and data. It's normal to have this error.
Your VI is still waiting for data from your serial port.
So try to run your VI with the good materiel configuration and it should work.

Sanaa TAZI
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,505 Views)
hi,

i solved my problem.
in fact, you don't need to connect any device if you write on your port before, but the error come from you can't read the data you just writing on the port ecxept if you put a cross cable, and a cross cable didn't be appropriate for my test.

so if someone try to do the same test, you have to change the comm port between the writing and the reading. after it works good.

thanks a lot for your help

see you later 😜
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,505 Views)