Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another VISA/comport in compiled program question

Solved!
Go to solution
Lots of questions in the forum about VISA not working in compiled programs when installed on non development computers and I have read several.  But, I can't even get mine to work on the development computer when the program is compiledSmiley Sad  As is usually the problem it works fine in development mode but not as a compiled program(  even on the development computer).  OS is Windows XP professional and LV version is 8.5.1   I see no options on the advanced tab to included serial/visa capability. MAX is installed and the alias of the port is COM1. What am I missing?  I'm probably overlooking something simple but by now I'm frustrated and everything is going wobbly wonkers.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,020 Views)

Do you have a visa port selection control on the front panel.

So yes try to select the asrl0 or asrl1 port and test this. maybe it is just a wrong alias.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 10
(4,015 Views)
Thanks Albert, I do have a selection control on the front panel.  Options in the control are COM1, COM3, and LPT1 as assigned by MAX.  My hardware is connected to COM1 which is the defaulted option. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,011 Views)

Hi Mike

the addition of visa should be available in add

This was a wild guess, another one:

this should work.

Additional installers is a separate tab in 8.5 

This is not in advanced

Message 4 of 10
(3,999 Views)
I remembered using the "additional installers" in an earlier version and looked for it in 8.5.1 but that tab doesn't exist in the build properties dialog box.  There is an "additional Exclusions" tab but no options to add anything and I tried deselecting all the boxes just for the heck of it to see what happend (nothing).  My wife and I were in Amsterdam and surrounding areas a couple of years ago on vacation.  Pretty impressive and we had a really good time.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,995 Views)

I checked in 8.5.1 just to be sure.

But maybe because I also have 8.6.1 and 2009f2

Or something is wrong in your installatio, try a repair

I really like Amsterdam but I'm living in the south about 1.5 hours drive if there were less cars at the same road....

Message 6 of 10
(3,992 Views)
Thanks for checking Albert.  I'm unclear what your telling me.  Do you have the "additional installers" in your version of 8.5.1?  I have to get our IT department involved if I need to repair the installation and it's a real hassle so I want to make sure something is actually wrong with my installation before I do that.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,972 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike_Weber

You only need the additional installers if you are creating an installer for the exe but I thought you said it does not work on the development pc? If that's the case, you are wasting your time.

Do you have any error handling in the exe? If so, what error code is being reported? When running the exe, do you have LabVIEW open?

Message 8 of 10
(3,970 Views)

"When running the exe, do you have LabVIEW open? "

DOH!

mumble mumble mumble........

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,963 Views)

Thanks Dennis

We do not deal often with exe files and I never would have thought about LabVIEW locking the visa port

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,946 Views)