From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WindowsXP support for GPIG%2FPCI%2FDOS

Hi Corey,

Here are the two files in .txt format . I can't undestand how the files were empty as I printed them locally before saving them!!.

These files are from a "srart over" system, WIN-XP and NI 3.12 program re-installed. I re-formatted the drive and started over, results are identical in all respects. Not much of a hassle as the only things on XP are the NI and a HP printer program and wireless net access card. I just wanted to be sure the installs were not corrupted.

Is there something  in the way i have written the instrument control programs or compiled them? DOS 6.22, MS -QB45 and compiled from DOS command line.

Regards,

Ted

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(3,064 Views)

HI Corey,

Did the .txt files I sent arrive OK and are openable??  Any other test thast I can run to assist?

Do you know how to make that very short informational dosbox screen about the National Iinstruments DOS handler slow down or stop so I can read it?

Regards,

Ted.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(3,045 Views)

Hey Ted,

I've taken a look at your trace files. It appears that you have a timeout on the read function, which occurs after you write to a certain device. 

trace-capture.jpg

The device info that is timing out is: 

capture2.jpg

Is it possible to increase the time before a timeout is determined for this device? 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(3,029 Views)

Hi Corey,

Those two timeouts  are irrelevant, they are a result of my input errors. The plotter is what I call a "DUMB" instrument. 

In order to obtain any response from this plotter you must first write to it an explicit specification for the status information you expect to receive upon requesting a read, this loads internal the read buffer with this information . Failure to do this always results in a timeout as shown regardless of the timeout setting as the read buffer is empty.  Note that there is no such write requesting the plotters status prior to the read,  just  pen change instructions, my error in not specifing what status ingormation I wanted by a executing a write for status informatiom, prior to calling for the read.

Regards,

Ted.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(3,027 Views)

Ted, 

I'm working on this issue with some other engineers. I'll post when I have more information. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(3,004 Views)

Hi Corey,

OK , thanks for the update. I have gone back to running the old PIII with DOS on an AT-GPIB board for now.

Any further information you need from me??  I await your post..

Regards,

Ted.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(3,001 Views)

Hi Corey,

What progress have you managed to make with this problem I have?? I have been trying to make this work and have conclufed ( possobly wrongly) that there is some disconnect between the DOS BOX part and the GPIB part. I went through the file ( per NI documentation) requirments again and have not found any errors.The programs start in the DOS BOX just fine until there is a call to the GPIB part, then fail. I can send you some more NI trace files if you want, but the programs always fail at exactly the same point as the ones i have already sent to you.

Programs coninue to run OK in DOS and Win98 with  AT-GPIB cards  on the PIII & P2.

Regards,

Ted..

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(2,970 Views)

Ted, 

Sorry for the late reply. More NI trace files would be helpful. I'm still working with the GPIB GO-TO's here...

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(2,960 Views)

Hi Corey,

Please excuse my delay in providing more NI trace files as requested, I have been busy.  Attached are  two files:

Capture.nitrace is the information obtained when running the Tek. 495P spectrum analyzer and the HP pen plotter which both dance to my tune without error as long as I do not make any input errors. The last information from the SA is the beginning of a 12.8 KB screen plot file that is of course incomplete.  I find that I can also make other instruments behave similarly in this enviromentSmiley Happy

Capture1.nitrace is the information when I run a DOS/QB45 based .exe file  ( compiled under DOS which executes perfectly in a DOS enviroment with an  AT-GPIB PNP board) and uses only the same instruments as above, the SA and pen plotter.Smiley Sad

I have been working at this end to try and resolve this issue without success, but have found that the failure seems to always occur when a CALL is made. I have set up the  XP  C:\  drive so that it has on it the files associated with the GPIB system in the same structure as on the C:\  drive  of the computer running the DOS files except for the driver files for the AT-GPIB board  which can not be used as the board does not exist in this system.

Question ( for some programming expert )  can I run QB45 from within the DOS box successfully?? If this is possible I can

run the failing program(s) step by step ( in basic)   and determine  the step that is the cause of the failure. A more succinct question is I think,  is the DOS BOX a perfect DOS emulator??

Regards,

Ted.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(2,943 Views)

Hi Corey,

I forgot you wanted the trace files intext so here they are, I hope !!!

Regards,

Ted

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(2,938 Views)