Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows serial port device not visible NIMAX

I've installed a Radio Shack 'Gigaware' usb-to-serial port device that appears ok in Windows but doesn't not even show up in NIMAX.  What gives?  If it installs ok in Window's then isnt' that considered Plug and Play?  I also explicitly installed the latest version (Vista, although I'm Win 7)) but that doesn't change anything.  

Right now I've installed the latest Labview eval.  I've been using LV for years and never had a problem using non-NI serial ports so I'm not sure what to do and I'm not inclinded to run to Best Buy and buy a different brand just to see if it works.

thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,362 Views)

ugh, can't find a way to edit or delete a post..  Anyway, the port fails during use so it is NOT installed OK, despite Window's status. Ignore this post.  Should have trusted NIMAX 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,351 Views)

Lets's undelete now.  I've tried 3 different usb to serial adapters and none of them show up in NIMAX even if they seem to be working in Windows. Scratching my head on this one.  I have a laptop at work with a 7-port usb hub and I had no problems plugging two different serial port adapters in.  (not to mention a dozen previous projects...)

If somebody has a clue I will buy them lunch...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,319 Views)

Give this KB a look. You may have to restart NI Device Loader.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0819391CA91B3EB38625731D00024649?OpenDocument

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,306 Views)