Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2000 "blue screen of death" after a small number of gpib reads - related to gpibclsd.sys

Labview 6i gpib drivers 1.7
If I just keep just reading (I stripped the operations down to "reading" to track this down) from the GPIB instrument (HP3456A) in a FOR loop every 2 seconds
- somewhere after 10<100
reads Windows 2000 crashes with an error related to gpibclsd.sys Seems like some sort of buffer overflow.

This is a bit annoying, as I have just now finaly learned Labview and have it ready to do something for me.

I would say "close but no cigar"... 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,726 Views)
Under Windows 2000 I had some BSODs with driver 2.0 that I didn't have with driver 2.1. I don't think mine involved gpibclsd.sys but there's a chance that the same driver upgrade might have improved gpibclsd.sys. You don't say what NI board or card you're using, but if driver 2.1 can handle it then you ought to download it and try.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,726 Views)
I really not sure what I have for a board other than its a NI PCI-GPIB card since I bought it used. I might try upgrading the driver but that too can be fraught with its own perils 🙂

Thanks for the advice tho

Fortunately all is not lost as I have it working now on my windows 98 machine - unfortunatly its montior is a bit small for this sort of thing.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,726 Views)
Hi,

You can download the driver at www.ni.com. Click on the link for drivers and updates >> Current Software Versions >> GPIB.

You should definitely try NI-488.2 2.1.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,726 Views)
alas, I have done so.
I deleted the i.7 drivers and started the
installation of NI-488.2.2.1
The setup program hangs on launch but running the individual .msi's got the drivers installed. Although the board is present and working properly according to the device manager - MAX fails to detect the board. When the troubleshooter is run the board can not be sequentially verified - with an unknown hardware error.
I just notice Visual basic gpib access does not work either. I don't know whether its HW or SW at this point.
Thanks for the help though.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,726 Views)
The final solution 🙂
Since my W2K operating system started acting up several weeks later I suddenly had the oppertunity to toast the W2K operating system and reinstall everything - but under Windows ME instead! Ablsolutly everything, including the GPIB with Labview, works great
even a bit faster too
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,726 Views)