Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win2000 Performance using PCI-GPIB and 232CV-A

A PCI-GPIB device is being used to communicate with a GPIB232CV-A (IEEE to Serial)converter. A current test setup is operational running WinNT without experience long delays in communication to the serial device. Any ideas why Win2000 should perform differently?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,856 Views)
Hello,

I cannot think of a reason why Windows 2000 would behave differently. Are you seeing that it is slower on Windows 2000, or is this a conceptual question? The CV-A acts as a GPIB instrument, so it shouldn't really interact that much with the OS. If the GPIB card installed in your computer isn't sending data as fast under 2000, this could cause slowdowns with the CV-A simply because it's not able to send out the data until it gets it from the GPIB interface bus. What exactly are you seeing?

Scott
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,856 Views)
I can't think of any thing that would cause this device to operate faster or slower, by just changing operating systems. It is true that Windows 2000 has a little more over head than NT, but I don't think it would be anything noticable, unless you were maxing out your processor. The GPIB232CV-A should always run the same speed.

You might want to runs some tests in MAX to verify that the PCI-GPIB device resources are setup correctly. Try to run the NI-488.2 Trouble Shooting Wizard.

I hope this helps out.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,856 Views)
Scott,

After more research we have found a few settings in the configurator utility (/bin/ directory) that were not being setup. The NI Explorer does not have control or setup for these properties and was something that was missed.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,856 Views)