Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does MAX shutdown when I connect an HP 8116A over GPIB?

When I have an HP 8116A Pulse/Function Generator connected to my PCMCIA GPIB card and I do a search for GPIB devices in MAX, the program attempts to search for devices (I see teh flashlight looking), but then MAX just closes without comment.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,297 Views)
Hey 3m,

The GPIB bus is not issolated and it is possible that your laptop is at a different reference voltage. I would recommend connection your AC adapter to the laptop and then make sure you plug both the instrument and AC adapter into the same plug. Other wise you might need something to isolate the bus like a GPIB-120A or a pair of GPIB-140A.

I hope this helps out.

JoshuaP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,297 Views)
Thanks for the thought. I do not think it is a question of differential voltage. I have tried connecting the power supply to the same outlet, but I still got the same results. I have also tried connecting the device to a PCI-GPIB card in a desktop machine and I have seen the same results. MAX simply closes without explanation.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,297 Views)
The next thing that I would suggest is upgrading to the newest version of VISA and NI-488.2.

JoshuaP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,297 Views)