From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I intermittently get the VISA error message -1073807343 ?

I am communicating via ethernet with a device using TCP/IP, and set up a resource for it within VISA to allow me to use the Instrument I/O Assistant. This worked well, but when I run the assistant, approximately 50% of the time I receive an error, code -1073807343. The description for this error is "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system". Given that VISA can successfully communicate with the device about half of the time I am confused as to how it fails the rest of the time?

If I run my program continuously, with a "wait" integrated into the code, there is no obvious 'pattern' to the error occurances. Increasing the wait time has no effect, they are entirely random.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Richard.
(LV 7.1, Win XP SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,104 Views)
Do you have any Tektronix software installed?

Your problem may be that you have installed a Tektronix software application called Wavestar, which installs a VISA driver that is not compatible with LabVIEW and LabWindows/CVI. To correct the problem, install the latest version of NI-VISA for your operating system by visiting the Related Link below. The Wavestar software will work with NI-VISA, and Tektronix has fixed the problem so that this problem will no longer occur with future versions of Wavestar.

AdamB
Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
Message 2 of 17
(5,086 Views)
Hi Adam,

No, to the best of my knowledge there is no Tektronix software installed on this machine. It is a fairly recent installation of XP and no additional software has been installed. I have already been to the LabVIEW downloads section and downloaded+installed VISA v4.0. Unfortunately, this has had no effect. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is our device that is at fault, not LV. If I try to communicate with it using the TCP/IP protocol communication functions I get a similar result.

The device, BTW, is a Scanivalve DSA (Digital sensor array) device. I shall contact Scanivalve directly regarding the problem.

Thanks for your reply Adam Smiley Happy

Regards,

Richard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,085 Views)

Hi Riggy,

I was unable to find any more specific information about you device.  Just thought I would see how contacting the manufacturer went?

If you need any more help with the code I'll be happy to help you.

Do you have the code to post? (don't forget the subvi's)

AdamB

Message 4 of 17
(5,049 Views)
Hi Adam,

Thanks for searching for information for me. Oddly, the problem has vanished, overnight. I have not changed the code in any way, yet now it connects and communicates with the device every time flawlessly. It is most confusing.
As such I have not yet talked with the manufacturers. If the problem recurs, I will certainly continue this thread and also speak with Scanivalve.

I think I attached the code to the first thread entry above. I think that's the latest version...

Riggy.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,048 Views)
Hi Riggy,
I don't seem to have the DSA_Aquire_Wizard.vi.  is this a subvi you created?
Great that the problem has cured itself.  I hope it stays that way.

Thanx

AdamB
Message 6 of 17
(5,045 Views)
Would it be possible for you to attach the DSA_acquire_Wizard.vi?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,826 Views)
Hi aeroterp,

I performed a complete scan of my harddisk and found one file called DSA_Acquire_Wizard.vi
I don't know if this is the correct file or not, but it is attached anyway. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Riggy
Message 8 of 17
(4,820 Views)
Thanks Riggy. It turns out I can't open the wizard file because it's a Labview 8 vi and I'm running Labview 7. Thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,814 Views)
Hi,

I tried to convert it to first 7.1, then also 7.0
Both are attached, but I'm not sure the conversions worked properly, therefore they might not run Smiley Sad

I tried,

Riggy
Download All
Message 10 of 17
(4,809 Views)