Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GPIB Card to buy for instrument control?

I need to communicate with a Tektronix DSA8200 Oscilloscope with a PC.  In the past I have used the NI GPIB PCI card.  The only connector available in the Dell Optiplex 790 for parallel communications is a PCI-e 4x.  Which NI card should I buy?  Will there be problems getting it work with legacy (read old) software?

Thanks in advance for help.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,065 Views)

NI has a GPIB-USB adapter that I've started using.

So far it works well... only complaint is the physical size of the adapter.  If the connector on the instrument is recessed and close to the edge of the chassis, you'll need to use a cable to go between the connector and adapter rather than just plugging the adapter onto the instrument.  Also since the adapter is longer than a standard connector, you may need some additional space in the cabinet to fit that in there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,061 Views)

@Joe West wrote:

I need to communicate with a Tektronix DSA8200 Oscilloscope with a PC.  In the past I have used the NI GPIB PCI card.  The only connector available in the Dell Optiplex 790 for parallel communications is a PCI-e 4x.  Which NI card should I buy?  Will there be problems getting it work with legacy (read old) software?

Thanks in advance for help.

Joe

Why use GPIB when you can use LXI? No new hardware to purchase.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,058 Views)

I think nyc has the right idea by going with the LAN connection.  However, NI's PCIe GPIB card is a x1 card and can therefore can go into your x4 slot.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,049 Views)