Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find Visa server examples?

I work for an instrument manufacturer who presently uses the NI libraries to provide GPIB connectivity. We would like to move to a Visa based server so people can also connect via ethernet or USB. Where can I find Visa server examples, everything I find seems to be from the client perspective.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,014 Views)
I think you might be getting your terminology confused, because you might be asking one of two different questions.

There is something called the remote NI-VISA server, but this is not a protocol you would implement. You run the NI-VISA server on a standard PC running Windows or LabVIEW RT or Linux, and connect your instruments to the PC just as normal. NI-VISA takes care of remoting the VISA resources. Unless you want to embed one of those operating systems inside your instrument and actually run the NI-VISA server, I don't think this is the path you want to take.

What you might mean by "VISA server" is how you implement the device side of the protocol that NI-VISA uses to communicate with 488.2-style instruments over Ethernet and USB. That is not
part of NI-VISA itself, and in-the-device examples are a bit more complicated because of all the state maintenance. For that reason, NI provides an alternate package called NI-Device, which does allow instrument vendors to present their device as a native 488.2-compatible instrument via GPIB, Ethernet, or USB. NI-Device handles the I/O abstraction and all the 488.2-defined state transitions for you. If you don't want to go that route, you'd have to get the protocol specifications (see VXI-11 and USBTMC) and write your own implementation from scratch, not something I recommend.

I hope this helps.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,014 Views)