Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the proper GPIB-232CV-A message termination syntax?

WinXP/LV6.1/GPIB-232CV-A in timeout & C mode to a Keithley 2002 DMM.
Some commands work fine like *IDN?\n or *ESR?\n. It seems as long as I concatenate a query on to the of a command I get no errors, i.e. (-420 query unterminated). So I concatenated Sense, Trigger setup, Formatting and Read into one big string and then it works. What is the proper syntax for message termination?

i.e. :FUNC 'FRES';:FRES:APER:AUTO ON;:FRES:RANG:AUTO ON;:FRES:DIG 5;:FRES:REF:STAT OFF;:FRES:OCOM OFF;:FRES:AVER:STAT OFF;ADV:STAT OFF;:Form:Elem Read,Chan,Rnum,Unit,Time;
:STAT:MEAS:PTR 32767;NTR 0;ENAB 32;:*SRE 1;:*SRE 0;:DATA?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,955 Views)
The actual syntax of the commands is determined by the device you are communicating with. You should have a list of commands that your DMM will respond to included in the documentation of your instrument.
If your device responds correctly to the "*IDN?\n" command, then \n would appear to be a correct termination character.
Do you get the same error when you send a command that does not require an answer from the instrument? The error might occurr if you are trying to read a response form the instrument that is not generated. If you try to read from the serial port and there is no data there, you will get a timeout error.

Let me know if this does not help.

Sean C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,955 Views)