Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between doing a VISA read asyncronous vs syncronous?

bump

Hand waving /\/\/\/\//\

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,930 Views)

nobody from NI to comment?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,928 Views)

Perhaps a bit of music while we wait?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,919 Views)

(tounge in cheek while I keep my Duct-tape handy_

since the bug is "VISA and GPIB read/write primitives not respecting async flag"  perhaps the async calls that used to sometimes return synchronously now return the same way but salute the flag as they pass out of respect.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,914 Views)

Hey Jeff, et al.,

LabVIEW 2010 had an issue where all VISA calls were performed synchronously, regardless of whether or not the VISA VI was set to Asynchronous or Synchronous. This was fixed in 2011, as referenced in the readme. It was a bug only with LabVIEW 2010 (2009 and earlier work as expected, and the text-based viReadAsync/viWriteAsync work as expected), so moving forward Asynchronous VISA calls will be performed asynchronously, and Synchronous VISA calls will be performed synchronously. You shouldn't expect this behavior to change in the future. Hope this helps!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,896 Views)

@Justin_E wrote:

Hey Jeff, et al.,

LabVIEW 2010 had an issue where all VISA calls were performed synchronously, regardless of whether or not the VISA VI was set to Asynchronous or Synchronous..................Hope this helps!

Certainly 'splains a few observations I have never been able to reconcile.  (I'm not angry just, disappointed)  These kinds of bugs should be supported with supplements to known issues-  When Test and measurement features change I have to know!  even if you want to bury a fact deep in the help file the actual operation must be available or, I'm out on a limb without my best partner, the highly regarded NI support team.

Thanks for the details.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,890 Views)

Thanks Justin

And please don't hide such mistakes. Make it a car and repair. I'm lucky that my customers were not asking for 2010, and we did not have the time to upgrade them.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,883 Views)

Why is this not in the list of known issues for LabVIEW 2010?

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11869/en/

I currently use LabVIEW 2010 for the majority of my deployments and this bug is undoubtedly affecting me. Some more information would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,563 Views)