From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What advantage is there in using the NI USB-232/4 over an off-the-shelf USB to Serial hub?

Solved!
Go to solution

What advantage is there in using the NI USB-232/4 over an offset USE to Serial hub?

NI USB-232/4

I have an application that requires LabVIEW control of 19 instruments that communicate over RS-232.

I've read the data sheet for the NI USB-232/4, and I don't see any advantage of spending $528 for this device (times five) over an off-the-shelf USB to Serial hub for half the price.

Can someone tell me if there's an advantage to the NI USB-232/4 or if they've had experince with one?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,075 Views)

My main concerns would be the baud rate (I think the NI ones allow for non-standard buad rates), buffer size (very important for instruments that stream data), driver compatibility (which should not be much of an issue), and external power source (with that many channels, you will want this).  You will most likely be just fine with one of the cheaper adapters if they meet the external power standard.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(6,073 Views)

If I had the choice, I would rather NOT deal with USB-Serial anything.

Get a desktop computer and put in PCI cards with actual serial ports.

Message 3 of 8
(6,066 Views)

Thank you crossrulz for the quick reply.

In this application, baud rade and data rate is not an issue. It is very slow, but that is definately something to keep in mind for future applications.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,063 Views)

Thank you, NYC for the quick reply.

Why would you prefer a desktop with PCI card supported serial ports? Space? Stable COM #s?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,062 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Agile

@Agile wrote:

Thank you, NYC for the quick reply.

Why would you prefer a desktop with PCI card supported serial ports? Space? Stable COM #s?

Stable COM#s, harder to randomly unplug, don't have to worry about the bus power, don't have to worry about Windows randomly turning off the bus power as a power saving feature, general reliability, often cheaper...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 8
(6,059 Views)

Thanks again. Both of these answers could be considdered the "solution."8 Port Native PCI Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.PNG

I thnk for this application, I'll use an 8 Port Native PCI Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,019 Views)

@Agile wrote:

Thanks again. Both of these answers could be considdered the "solution."8 Port Native PCI Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.PNG

I thnk for this application, I'll use an 8 Port Native PCI Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.

Good decision. 🙂

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,015 Views)