Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wavesurfer 24XS TCP/IP

Solved!
Go to solution

I am having trouble connecting to, and receiving information from my Lecroy Wavesurfer 24XS oscilloscope. I am trying to connect to it over a network.  I have downloaded and installed both the instrument driver from NI and VICP Passport from Lecroy.  I obtained the IP address for the scope by going into the Local Area Connection Status on the scope.  I then opened Aquire Waveform.vi that came with the driver, typed my visa resource name in (VICP::ip address) and clicked run.  I recived the error #1074003951 LCWAVE Initialize, ID Query failed.  I believe that I am close, what am I missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,401 Views)

@ECline wrote:

I am having trouble connecting to, and receiving information from my Lecroy Wavesurfer 24XS oscilloscope. I am trying to connect to it over a network.  I have downloaded and installed both the instrument driver from NI and VICP Passport from Lecroy.  I obtained the IP address for the scope by going into the Local Area Connection Status on the scope.  I then opened Aquire Waveform.vi that came with the driver, typed my visa resource name in (VICP::ip address) and clicked run.  I recived the error #1074003951 LCWAVE Initialize, ID Query failed.  I believe that I am close, what am I missing?

VICP::ip address is an invalid VISA resource name for an LAN instrument. You should use MAX to find out what it really is.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,398 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ECline

You are there.  The error is due to the ID query trying to find the model in a case structure. (This is going to be fixed but I am not sure how soon).  The issue is that the original programmer attempted to check the scope ID to make sure the driver was compatible.

It became a huge task to stay on top of the list and was dropped after the programmer left the company.

The work around is to just disable the ID query in the initialization vi or ignore the error.

VICP::IP Address of the scope

Is the correct resource name.  (This uses the VICP passport with NI-VISA).

The passport is needed because LeCroy uses a custom port (1861) for this connection.

If you would like, you can set the scope to use the VXI (LXI-11) interface and then the resource name would be:

TCPIP0::ip address of scpe::inst0::INSTR

No custom port for this connection so no need for the VICP passport. (Although what benchmarking I have done indicates this is a slower connection.  I suspect this is because of the overhead involved with the LXI-11 standard being implemented).

If you would like, you may call me at 1-800-5LeCroy (select the option for scope technical support) and I will be happy to help.

I can also be reached via email at: leonard.brown@lecroy.com

Cheers,

Leonard Brown

LeCroy Applications Engineer

Message 3 of 3
(3,391 Views)