From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WRITE AT SERIAL PORT

HAVE a QUESTION ABOUT the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VISA and SERIAL, because ARE SUCH ICONS IN BOTH TOOLS. SINCE I CAN DO IF I WANT TO SEND a DATA OF a CONTROL, through PORT SERIAL THAT OCCUPIES 2 BYTES? FOR EXAMPLE THE 1024 DECIMAL?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,850 Views)
Hi A.M.R.

You can use the Serial VIs or the VISA VIs to communicate through your serial port. VISA is a higher-level architecture that allows a user to use the same functions to communicate through serial, GPIB, USB, VXI, and several other buses. When you pass a serial port VISA Resource Name, such as COM1, into the VISA Open, VISA recognizes that you are communicating through the serial port and will call the appropriate functions. So, you may choose to use either one.

It is generally recommended to use the VISA VIs, because this allows for greater adaptability in your program later, among other reasons. Also, with LabVIEW 7.0 and later, the Serial VIs actually call VISA functions underneath, so you are actually using VISA either way.

I hope this helps!

john
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,827 Views)
Hi,

The Virtual Instrument Software Architecture (VISA) is a standard for configuring, programming, and troubleshooting instrumentation systems comprising GPIB, VXI, PXI, Serial, Ethernet, and/or USB interfaces. VISA provides the programming interface between the hardware and development environments such as LabVIEW, LabWindows/CVI, and Measurement Studio for Microsoft Visual Studio. Serial VIs are high level VIS wich in turn use the VISA library for doing the specific tasks.

Regards,
Siddu
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,815 Views)