Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Timeout Lakeshore 330 Temperature Controller

Hi,

I'm using Lakeshore 330 Temperature Controller to regulate the temperature in my LabVIEW program for measuring resistivity towards temperature. Thus far there have been no issues but as of late the device keeps showing this error:

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed

error code -1073807339

Visa Write in Lake Shore Cryotronics 330.lvlib:

Serial Write.vi->Lake Shore Cryotronics 330.lvlib:

Initialize.vi->Lake Shore Cryotronics 330 Controller Output.vi

Resetting the device occasionally solves the problem, but not for long. Within a few minutes or so the program would experience a timeout again. Another program which uses LS 330 also for regulating the temperature faces the same issue. Additional info: the device is connected through GPIB.

My question is, is there a way to check where the source of the communication problem is? I'm assuming it's not the program since the program used to work just fine.

Thank you so much for any help 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,504 Views)
In my experience, a timeout on a write is indicative of a hardware failure. The gpib handshaking is not being done. It could either be the chamber or the gpib controller. Do you have a replacement for either?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,499 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply! Other instruments we have connected with GPIB also (a Multimeter and a Lock-in Amplifier) can communicate just fine, strangely. There is a spare GPIB connector, I think, I'll try to see whether it solves the problem or not.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,493 Views)

If the total length of your cables is decently long, I have seen that also cause issues.  Also, make sure you are in a daisy chain OR a start configuration.  Don't mix the two.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,486 Views)