From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA write buffer

How do figure out what hex values to write in the write buffer?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,479 Views)
How do you know that you have to write hex values? What does the manual say? What is the instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,468 Views)

To communicate with a device ? See its protocol.

PS : Your question is much too vague to expect a detailed answer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,466 Views)

I am documenting a VI and I saw the hex values in write buffer.

Communication is through the internet.

I dont know what device is used. What possible devices can be used?

This VI is for monitoring and display (no acquisition).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,452 Views)
This is just the wrong place to be asking what instrument is connected on your network. If there is no one at your company that can provide this information, run away now. If you cannot determine it yourself, then you lack basic knowledge of instrumentation and you should ask your supervisor for another assignment or at least some time to do some studying. Quite frankly, you don't know enough to even ask reasonable questions. There are literally millions of instruments that you can connect to an Ethernet network.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,447 Views)

You can always make a string indicator and change the format to be hex.

Most instruments use an ASCII format for sending and recieving commands/data.  The fact you are asking for hex values tells me that you are most likely dealing with an internallly developed device.

As has been said, you have to know the protocol of whatever you are talking to.  It would be like if I went up to somebody in Russia and started giving them orders in Portugese.  They would just look at me funny and ignore me.  But if I speak in Russian, and they are more than happy to give me the information I asked.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,435 Views)

First of all can you please explain the concept of sending/receiving data and protocols and how actually the communication happens? 

I think an SB-rio is used (or something else). Could'nt find required information from the data sheet of sb-rio.

The thing is, there are various systems located at different places. This VI (energy monitor) monitors the different parameters (acquired from these systems) and displays the results (It is an internet enabled monitoring system). 

My question is,

There is a write buffer which contains some hex values (which I assume are commands to read required parameters). How do you configure these hex values?

How do you find out that these are the commands that should be written to read the required data?

Please help! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,421 Views)

@kdm7 wrote:

First of all can you please explain the concept of sending/receiving data and protocols and how actually the communication happens? 

I think an SB-rio is used (or something else). Could'nt find required information from the data sheet of sb-rio.

The thing is, there are various systems located at different places. This VI (energy monitor) monitors the different parameters (acquired from these systems) and displays the results (It is an internet enabled monitoring system). 

My question is,

There is a write buffer which contains some hex values (which I assume are commands to read required parameters). How do you configure these hex values?

How do you find out that these are the commands that should be written to read the required data?

Please help! 

sbRIO?  Yep, it is an internal protocol that somebody at your company made up.  GO TALK TO THEM!

You just write whatever you want to send to the VISA Write.  VISA knows which communication bus to use based on the session you gave it.  When dealing with a sbRIO, it is most likely using an Ethernet connection, so it will use a TCP/IP protocol to send the data.  But you don't care about that.  All you need to know is that you write the data to the VISA Write and it will automagically make it to your device.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 8
(5,416 Views)