Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA vs IVI Drivers

Hi,

for any instrument they are providing both IVI and VISA drivers.i need to know what is the difference between the drivers ie IVI vs VISA

Regards
Parthipan
Message 1 of 5
(20,546 Views)
All drivers (certified ones, anyway) use VISA but you can read about the Types of Drivers and learn the difference between IVI and Plug and Play.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(20,534 Views)

hi,

I think VISA is the software architecture provided by NI.We can communicate with any instrument(DMM/Scope/Switch) with the same interface.IVI drivers are specific to a instrument type (DMM).in that fashion i need the difference.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(20,529 Views)

VISA is an api specified by the Plug and Play Alliance which is now governed by the IVI Foundation. As I said, an IVI driver uses VISA and a plug and play driver uses VISA. VISA is not a instrument driver. It is a communication protocol that supports GPIB, RS-232, USB, Ethernet, PXI, and PCI. While you can use VISA for any type of driver, each instrument will require a certain set of commands and those commands will be different.

All of the drivers you find on the Instrument Driver Network are specific to a certain instrument. Please read through the link I provided.

Message 4 of 5
(20,527 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(20,517 Views)