Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA serial port read locking up

Hi,

I am running into an intermitent problem with the VISA serial port read locking up on a remote machine. I am running LV 6.02 on XP Pro. When I click on the VISA server on the task bar and click on "About" it says I am running version 1.0 but the install says 2.6 so I don't know what the deal is with that. Measurement & Automation Explorer is version 2.2.0.3010. It runs fine for perhaps several thousand reads but then locks up and the only recourse is end the program using task manager. This is true for both the executable file that I built as well as running it in source code. It seems that it is in the serial port read as the debugging options still nominally works. When I trace it down, the wires going into the VISA read are solid but they are greyed out coming out so this is where it seems to be stopping although there is no green arrow indicating that that vi is running. I am reading the bytes at the port with a 1000 ms timeout on the read bytes at port and feeding that into the VISA read as well as feeding in the errors. There are no errors going into the VISA read but it hangs.

Thanks for any help.

Carl
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,951 Views)
Carl,

You should try upgrading to the latest version of NI-VISA which is available here. This may or may not fix the problem, but it is usually best to begin troubleshooting with the latest driver.

By the way 2.6 is your version of NI-VISA, and 1.0 is the version of NI-VISA Server.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,901 Views)