From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read timeout error--- Keithley 2460

Hi all,

I am trying to control a Keithley 2460 Sourcemeter through USB to source a current and read the value of this output current.

I took an example code from the library "Keithley 2450 read single", however error 1073807346 pops out from the "Initialize" box ; from the VISA read block precisely. Even if I just switch on the Keithley power source and only run the "Initialize" box, the error comes. The VISA ressource name chosen is : USB0::0x05E6::0x2460::04069812::INSTR

A similar post was realized on this : https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/VISA-read-timeout-error-Keithley-2400/td-p/1... thus I tried to query the device with MAX by sending the command *IDN?\n but it returned me a timeout error VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) (screenshot attached).

Still to mention that sometimes the device is recognized and work properly and then it doesn't work anymore. Therefore, I would like to point out what makes it work sometimes and sometimes not.

Thanks in advance

Nico

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,689 Views)

Nico,

The link you sent doesn't seem to be complete.

The IDN test you're doing is definitely the best "first debugging step". If you don't get an answer here, the VI can't work. Please double check that the Serial Port settings are correct in the VISA Test Panel (Baud Rate, Data Bits, Stop Bits, Parity, etc.) If it works sometimes, the issue might be the cable.

Which communication bus are you using with the device (GPIB, Ethernet, USB)?

Marc

Applications Engineer

National Instruments Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,640 Views)

Dear Marc,

Indeed my link was not complete, sorry for that. Here it is : https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/VISA-read-timeout-error-Keithley-2400/td-p/1...

I changed the USB cable but it still doesn't work. In MAX I checked the VISA Test Panel but was not able to find the Serial Port settings. I'm using USB communication.

Also something that I might have done wrong is to install the Keithley I/O layer as it was mentioned in the instrument reference manual (p2-67) that "To use the rear-panel USB port, you must have the Virtual Instrument Software Architecture (VISA) layer on the host computer" : https://doc.xdevs.com/doc/Keithley/2460/2460-901-01_B_May_2015_Ref.pdf

It might get into conflict with NI VISA ?

Hope this information helps

Nico

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,632 Views)

Nico,

I don't think that the Keithley I/O layer Software is in conflict with NI Software. With Keithley SW you installed NI VISA Runtime.

What options can you configure in the VISA Test Panel (Line Control, USB Control) and on the Keithley device? Also, can you try the Ethernet us and check if it works (also with VISA)?

Again I think you are right about testing the IDN command with the VISA Testpanel first. When this will work, LabVIEW will work.

Best,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,606 Views)

Dear Marc,

So, instead of not mentionning the good feature I can configure, I joined a printscreen of the possibilities offered with the USB connection.

On the Keithley touchscreen, in the connection mode, there is no parameters for the USB connection.

I tried to connect the computer to the Keithley with a crossover Ethernet cable and it works. I see the device in VISA, can send it the IDN command and it seems to work without problem. The VI also works. Then I turned it off, replaced the Ethernet cable with the USB one and tried again. I could send the IDN command in VISA and it worked. However, when running the Initialize VI, it again poped up the same error. I checked again the IDN command in VISA and it didn't work either. Maybe the Initialize VI is not fully parametrized or the termination character is not the good one ?

Nico

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,602 Views)

Nico,

Which driver are you using? I didn't find any compatibel driver for the 2460 device. I think the problem is here.

Both following drivers are not compatible.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=25B255F3AA83660EE0440003BA7CCD...

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=21930

You should ask Keithley if they are planing to release a driver for the device. If not, I'm afraid that you'll have to write your own driver with the VISA API.

Best,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,593 Views)

Dear Marc,

If you go on the Keithley website, on the download part of the Keithley 2460 Sourcemeter, (following link : http://www.keithley.com/products/dcac/currentvoltage/touchscreensmu/?path=2460/Downloads#4) you find this driver :

Keithley 2450 & 2460 Native LabVIEW 2013 Instrument Driver version 1.2.0.

It contains the main VI to use with Keithley 2450 and 2460 sourcemeter. However, it is while using such VI that I got the VISA read timeout error. 

Looking at the Initialize VI for the Keithley 24XX and 2450 (both attached), we see that the serial interface is not implemented in the second one. Could it be the cause of the problem ?

Another question, does this driver folder really acts as a driver ? And in which way ? Because I I put it under C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\Keithley 2450 to make it appear under the function panel but does it have another utility ?

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Nico

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,589 Views)
If you truly have a USB connection as USBTMC, then you don't need any settings for RS232.

I would get rid of of the Keithley I/O software and see if the device stills appears in MAX as USBTMC.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,573 Views)

I uninstalled the Keithley I/O layer. Then in MAX the instrument still appeared as USB (is there a visible difference if it is USB or USBTMC on MAX !) and the IDN query worked but the Initialize VI did not (the Read block). When I came back to MAX the IDN query didn't work.

I checked again the same procedure with the Ethernet connection and it works. Strange...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,564 Views)

In NI MAX, your 2460 should appear as USBTMC with the following form USB0::0x5E6::0x2460::nnnnnnnn::INSTR
(where nnnnnnnn is the serial number of your instrument).

If you then click on this device and open a VISA Test Panel you can talk to the unit with NI-VISA.
Press the Input/Output button and then press the Query button, the instrument should respond with proper *IDN? response.

If this works, then close NI MAX and the VISA Test Panel.
Next, be sure your 2460 is set for SCPI mode. On front panel press Menu -> Settings -> Command Set and select SCPI.

Then download the latest LabVIEW Driver (version is 1.2.0.0) from the website....which it appears you have already done
and in your case place the Keithley 2450 directory into the C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\ directory.

Next, open Keithley 2450.lvproj and expand the list of examples and double click on the Keithley 2450 Read Single.vi.
Select the USB0::0x5E6::0x2460::nnnnnnnn::INSTR from the VISA resource name dropdown and run the program....

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,489 Views)