Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read timeout error--- Keithley 2400

Solved!
Go to solution
If you need advise on the 2600 series start a new thread. It is a completely different machine, but also can change the end characters.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(3,468 Views)

Hi All,

When I the following program am getting : pyvisa.errors.VisaIOError: VI_ERROR_TMO (-1073807339): Timeout expired before operation completed.

Am using RS232 and keithely sourcemeter 2400,

Please help me,

import visa
rm = visa.ResourceManager()

print rm.list_resources()

inst = rm.open_resource('ASRL7::INSTR')
print(inst.query('*IDN?'))
print inst.write("*RST")
inst.write("SOUR:FUNC VOLT;:SOUR:VOLT 1.800000;:CURR:PROT 0.100000;")
inst.write(":MEAS:VOLT?")

print "voltage", inst.read()
inst.write(":MEAS:CURR?")
print "current", inst.read()

inst.write("OUTP ON;")
inst.write("OUTP OFF;")

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(3,162 Views)

Hi Devarajulju,

Just as a side note, you will probably get more visibility on your post by creating a new post instead of just adding to this one, especially as it's three years old and has already been marked as solved. 

That being said, if you could include some more information here or when you post elsewhere that would be helpful. What program are you using to communicate with the device? What troubleshooting steps have you tried already? Howe have you connected your PC to the sourcemeter?

A good first test is to open up NI MAX and use the VISA test panel to see if you can send a *IDN? query to the device and get a response. If this isn't working then there's probably not successful communication between the device and your PC. 

Unfortunately a timeout error can be caused by a number of issues, this KnowledgeBase article describes some good troubleshooting steps to try:

"Why Do I Receive Timeout Error -1073807339 on VISA Read or Write?"

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/874B379E24C0A0D686256FCF007A6EA0

If by any chance you're planning on using LabVIEW you can download drivers for this device here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=1583 

Hope this is helpful!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(3,146 Views)

Hi

I did have less time yesterday and did not yet find a way to order the next set of measurements.

Can you tell me how long it took to get the first buffer

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(3,143 Views)