Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read timeout error--- Keithley 2400

Solved!
Go to solution

here is initialize.vi. the first half went well, but error pops out from VISA read. please check the attached. thanks. please let me know if you can open it or not.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(6,491 Views)

Hi,

Can you run your code in Highlight execution mode and let me know at which point in your code does the error occur. Is it at the VISA read which is right after the VISA write?. It would be helpful if you could take the screenshot of the error message and post it.

Sev K.
Senior Systems R&D Engineer | Wireless | CLA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(6,486 Views)

You forgot to make all values default, after the errormessage

go to edit/make current values default and save the vi. I was not really interested in the vi but in the status of the frontpanel controls and the errormessage.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(6,480 Views)

Hi Sev and Albert,

It happens right after the VISA write function, i have attached the screenshot for the initialize.vi and highlight the errors. The error message that comes out from the front panel is "VISA Read in Keithley 24xx. lvlib: Error query.vi->Keithley 24xx.lvlib: Close.vi->Keithley 24xx.lvlib:Initialize.vi"

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(6,468 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michigan state

Let's get this error fixed by doing the instructions below:

Right click on the output of the VISA Read and select 'Create Indicator' (the pink wire that is already there)

Run the VI - making sure there is something in the indicator you just created.

Go to the Edit menu and select 'Make Current Values Default' (you were told to do this once before)

Save the VI

Attach the VI.

The images are not worth much and doing the loopback test is less than useful. Since you are able to execute the command in MAX, you should get it to work in LabVIEW.

I suspect the instrument is set for a different termination character than the Line Feed you are currently using. This is something that should be explained in the instrument manual.

Message 15 of 24
(6,460 Views)

Dennis,

YOU ARE CORRECT.....

The instrument is set for a different termination char. i changed it from <CR> to <CR+LF>. Problem is solved.

Thank you very much for your advice and also thank everyone who contributed their time to help me look into the problem.

You guys are awesome!Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(6,429 Views)

Then you should mark my answer as the solution. You can change this by clicking the 'Options' link.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(6,421 Views)

Hello, may I ask where did you change CR to CR+LF??

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(5,840 Views)
On the keithley machine
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(5,830 Views)

I am not sure the 2602 has it or not. 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(5,821 Views)