From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read serial --- bluescreen after 5-20min

Hi

I have following problem:

I send with the arduino via “Serial.println” a increasing long number 32Bit. If I read it with the Serial Monitor form the Arduino SDK is everything working perfect.

If I read it with LabVIEW I have a blue screen after 5-20 min. At the moment I haven’t no idea where the problem to search.

PS: I can't using the LIFA because i need the Arduino as a SPI Slave interface.

Windows Error description:

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname:                       BlueScreen

Betriebsystemversion:                        6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Gebietsschema-ID:                             2055

Zusatzinformationen zum Problem:

BCCode:                                               d1

BCP1:                                                    00000000000000B8

BCP2:                                                    0000000000000002

BCP3:                                                    0000000000000000

BCP4:                                                    FFFFF880087E2161

OS Version:                                          6_1_7601

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               256_1

Dateien, die bei der Beschreibung des Problems hilfreich sind:

C:\Windows\Minidump\070413-11029-01.dmp

C:\Users\Manuel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-508485-0.sysdata.xml

LabVIEW program:

serial_bluescreen.png

Have you any Idea where the Problem can be?

Thanks alot.

Manuel Keel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,493 Views)

Don't you want to read the property "Bytes at Port" instead of "Data Bits". (You have "data bits" configured as 8 on the left, so this seems a very uninteresting property to read. ;))

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,463 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem, and I solved It reinstalling the last version of NI-Visa and installing the packet "Labview Interface for arduino" with "VI Package manager"

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,331 Views)

Any luck on finding a solution for this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,430 Views)

Like Christian Altenbach I say that you need anothe function namely bytes at port.

Now you are probably asking too much bytes and I already have a corrective action request (CAR number I have to lookup) for such a blue screen with Arduino serial communication.

I found a workaround by not asking more bytes than are available where I originally relied on a defined endcharacter. I proofed that this crashes windows on several machines and operating systems so I blamed NI but got not the feedback until now that it is reproduced or solved.

I have another Arduino project in which a customer reported a crash last Monday so I really would like to work together to find a solution.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,420 Views)

Thanks alot Albert!

I will inform about the results soon, as i have 3 pc's running which fail daily. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,419 Views)

Cool! The blue screen disapeared. 🙂 Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,254 Views)

I'm glad you got it to work for you. I'm still confused as to why everyone is using bytes at port when:

println()

Description

Prints data to the serial port as human-readable ASCII text followed by a carriage return character (ASCII 13, or '\r') and a newline character (ASCII 10, or '\n'). This command takes the same forms as Serial.print().

It seems to me that we'd want to use the newline character. Am I missing something?

Reference: http://arduino.cc/en/Serial/Println

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,248 Views)
The reason I use bytes at port is that when I was using the endcharacter, I got also the blue screen. And my customer did not like that at all.
So I reported it and the car still stands in the visa group.
In fact I don't like that NI iseems a black hole, corrective action request goes in, followed by silence........
It is almost a year now!
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,238 Views)

Dang, I should have read your post with an eye toward more detail. Sorry about that Mr. Geven. I might have to take a look at the sketches/vi's used for LIFA and LINX and see what method they are using. 

Arduino aside I wonder if this is affecting other apps using the serial port...Instrument Drivers etc. 

This could get really ugly.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. 

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,229 Views)