From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA rapidity ?

Hello,

I would like to create a USB device with my own protocol and so using USBRAW functions.
My device will send 8Mbits/s to Labview and I will read it with the function viRead in a loop (pooling):

Is this rate 8Mbits/s easy for VISA to follow or not ?

Thanks for any help,

Gregory.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,224 Views)
If your device can send 1 MB/s (8 Mb/s divided by 8 bits per byte), then NI-VISA should have no problem reading that amount if your connection is USB 2.0 all the way through.

We have seen NI-VISA transfer upwards of 25 MB/s on large buffers in a pure USB 2.0 system, and while that may vary by machine and by OS, that's way above the transfer rate you are asking about.

On a system with any USB 1.1 connection (the host, a hub, or the device in question), the transfer rate is of course much lower, as you'd expect based on the USB 1.1 standard. We've seen NI-VISA transfer roughly 1000 kB/s (that's slightly less than the 1 MB/s you need). Again, that may vary slightly if you try it on a different machine or OS.

I hope this information helps.

Dan
Mondrik
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(3,224 Views)