Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA or Code Library Missing/Error -1073807202 occurred at Property Node (arg 1)

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to communicate with an Omega UTC-USB thermocouple connector. I am able to send commands and receive the temperature data, set degF or degC, etc in NI MAX and PuTTY terminals. When I attempt to implement this in LabVIEW 15 I receive: Error -1073807202 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port and the possible reasons are VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded. I have VISA 16.0 installed and have also tried to "repair" it seemingly successfully. visa32.dll is in the correct location as recommended in other posts. I am running 64bit Windows 10 if that has any impact. Any help is appreciate, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(6,927 Views)

Does the same error appear if you use the Continuous Serial Write and Read.vi example?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(6,824 Views)

Yes the same error is appearing using the Continuous Write Read Example. Based on some investigation the error is occurring in the VISA Configure Serial Port block. This is the case in the the Continuous Write Read Example, Basic Serial Write Read Example, and my own code. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(6,815 Views)

Can you confirm that you have the NI-VISA 16.0 Development Support specifically for LabVIEW 2015 installed?

Launch NI Uninstaller >> Select NI-VISA 16.0 >> Modify >> Expand NI-VISA >> Expand Development Support >> Make sure your version of LabVIEW is set to “installed locally”.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(6,783 Views)

I followed the steps as described and I can confirm Development Support for LabVIEW 2015 64-bit version is installed locally. In fact, support is installed locally for 64 & 32 bit version 2013-2016.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(6,779 Views)

A few other things you could try:

[1] Restart computer, use LabVIEW before using other software that interfaces with serial port.

This was able to fix a similar issue in this forum post:

Solved: Error: Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-Property-Node-arg-1-in-VISA-Configure-Serial-Port-Instr-vi/td-...

Ben says, "I have seen thrid party serial interfaces work on the first attempt but fail when switching to another app. It was like the driver did not know it was no longer owned by the first process."

[2] Force reinstall the NI-VISA 16.0 driver. Doing a Repair does not always detect corrupted files.

Force Reinstall NI Software from the Command Prompt in Windows
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(6,771 Views)

I did a force reinstall from the command prompt and restarted my machine. Opened LabVIEW first thing and attempted to run Cont. Serial Write Read Example but had the same error. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(6,762 Views)

Do you also have the NI-Serial Driver? It sounds like you do, because you have the examples, but just in case...

NI-Serial 15.0
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-serial-15.0/5573/en/

[!] It has not been tested on Windows 10, but you could try it anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,758 Views)

Re-downloaded NI-Serial 15.0 and attempted to reinstall, but it just said that everything was installed and components were of a higher version.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(6,753 Views)

Are you still getting the same error as in your original post when you try to run an example?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,743 Views)